SSD Freezing my pc

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

No problem, I know how frustrating things can be... I am quite experienced with PCs, yet can still run into little things like driver problems that can cause so much system instability and ruin your enjoyment. I must have taken my PC apart (before AND after the new hardware) and re-seated the CPU etc at least 10 times to keep checking the components, running memtest etc. I was Soooo glad when I finally tracked down the problem and got it sorted. In your case the first thing I would do is take off any OC config, check BISO is updated to latest, all drivers from both the motherboard manufacturer to check the chipset etc.. and also from the nvidia website for your graphics just to rule that out too. Also, you might want to check the BIOS to see if you have the onboard GPU doing any work also, or just the PCI-e graphics card as that could potentially cause problems too. I might even be prepared to take out the graphics cards and get everything stable that way with drivers etc, before re-inserting the graphics and installing those drivers.

Sorry if that is long-winded explanation, but with these kinds of problems sometimes you have to just go to barebones system for now to try and troubleshoot the problem one thing at a time. Hope you have good luck with it, i'll follow this thread so I can maybe suggest something if you run into any problems.

Hello guys.

I moved on from using HDD to SSD (Kingston Hyper x Savage 480Gb) and since that (for a month now) my pc freezes randomly and i have to do the force shut down. I have googled for many SSD related guides and i have changed settings from power saving options to indexing options and i have checked BIOS that AHCI is selected instead of IDE and still randomly freezes during a game or music or video... I went down to the local hardware store and asked about this and they asked me the same questions about indexing, power saving options, BIOS and if i cloned the disks or performed clean install instead (I did clean install because i have read that the ways of storing the data on HDD and SSD are different and this is also why SSD should be taken out from the automatic defrag schedule). Anyways, after listing my pc components and changes i have made they said it should work and that they can replace my SSD with new one.

I got the new SSD yesterday, performed clean install of Win 10 64 bit, updated all the drivers and whatever updates windows needed and couple hours later my pc froze again. I guess a broken SSD is not the case here so i've been looking for firmware update for the SSD but couldn't find any for this one as the ones i found were for other Kingston ssd's and there was a text saying it wont work with any other ssd. I'm pretty confident that this issue is with the ssd because it is the only thing that have been changed and after that the freezing issue started. Overheating shouldn't be an issue here, i have checked the temperatures and under load CPU is around 50C, GPU at everything on ultra + max AA goes up to 70-75C on Fallout 4 and the overall temp inside the case goes to 37-42C depending of the game. I got the GPU like 2 months before the SSD so i am confident to say that this gpu in this old pc is not the problem (hopefully) :) 

My components:

Intel i7 3770K overclocked to 3.9ghz from 3.5 (got it early 2014 along with MoBo and PSU)

Kingston Hyper x fury 16gb kit (2x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz (got these last september)

Kingston Hyper x Savage 480Gb (got it mid january and got it replaced 12.2.2016)

Asus Xonar DG sound card (got this one a year ago)

Asus PCE-AC56 wifi card (got this for a year as well)

Asus p8z77-v lx intel z77 lga1155

Asus Strix GTX980ti (Got it early november)

Corsair CX 750watt

Hopefully i didn't forget anything but if i did, just ask :) 

Thanks already

PSU issue. Freezing is a sign of a faulty PSU and a CX wit a 980 Ti is just asking for trouble

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

PSU issue. Freezing is a sign of a faulty PSU and a CX wit a 980 Ti is just asking for trouble

Good to know. When i was shopping for the 980ti, the guy in the store asked me which PSU i had and after i told him, he said it was good.

Which one would you recommend to replace this one with?

1 minute ago, Kalle said:

Good to know. When i was shopping for the 980ti, the guy in the store asked me which PSU i had and after i told him, he said it was good.

Which one would you recommend to replace this one with?

Personally I'd go with a SeaSonic S12G 650W

Btw - do check without the SSD. If the problem is gone then RMA the SSD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Btw - do check without the SSD. If the problem is gone then RMA the SSD

I had windows installed on a HDD before and never had a freeze until i changed to SSD. I already returned one SSD and i got this one yesterday and it has a fresh win 10 64bit install in it. I would appreciate if you would read the whole post before replying. Thanks :) 

Just now, Kalle said:

I had windows installed on a HDD before and never had a freeze until i changed to SSD. I already returned one SSD and i got this one yesterday and it has a fresh win 10 64bit install in it. I would appreciate if you would read the whole post before replying. Thanks :) 

Kinda busy so I skimmed through it and past the 2nd SSD part

2 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Kinda busy so I skimmed through it and past the 2nd SSD part

What's the point replying to a post if you can't be bothered to read it all?

2 hours ago, Kalle said:

-snip-

If you have a spare PSU around or can borrow a friend's try that before rushing out and buying a new one.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

OK, when you say that you updated all the drivers, did you update them through the manufacturers files or from within windows update?  Just asking because I had a problem where I was convinced it was the PSU as I had been having the problem for months with random BSD /freeze etc and after that had changed literally all parts except PSU (was upgrading anyway) and continued having the problem. It was driving me insane so was double checking the drivers etc again and found that even the motherboard manufacturers video drivers weren't up to spec and that was the problem/ along with an OC remnant that somehwo carried over from a previous BIOS update and didn't realize was still active. So after clearing the CMOS and resetting everything to default, going into windows and updating the video drivers from intel this time (running intel HD4600). Then rebooting and updating the BIOS to my settings, everything has been rock solid since then, no more freezes, BSD etc... even with an OC.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, DebatED Nothing said:

If you have a spare PSU around or can borrow a friend's try that before rushing out and buying a new one.

Nope, don't have suitable one lying around. I could ask around though. I would like to upgrade my psu but i would also like to find out the problem first.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

OK, when you say that you updated all the drivers, did you update them through the manufacturers files or from within windows update?  Just asking because I had a problem where I was convinced it was the PSU as I had been having the problem for months with random BSD /freeze etc and after that had changed literally all parts except PSU (was upgrading anyway) and continued having the problem. It was driving me insane so was double checking the drivers etc again and found that even the motherboard manufacturers video drivers weren't up to spec and that was the problem/ along with an OC remnant that somehwo carried over from a previous BIOS update and didn't realize was still active. So after clearing the CMOS and resetting everything to default, going into windows and updating the video drivers from intel this time (running intel HD4600). Then rebooting and updating the BIOS to my settings, everything has been rock solid since then, no more freezes, BSD etc... even with an OC.

After i installed the windows and got on the desktop for the first time, there was a series of automated updates, just can't remember which ones they were... I did, however use the CD that was provided with the motherboard and installed LAN, Chipset,  on board intel graphics and on board audio drivers. I also used the provided CD's for the WIFI card and for the asus xonar DG sound card. The GPU drivers i also got straight from nvidia website.

Can't remember what else was there... But i will go through all the drivers again and update everything from manufacturer.

Thanks for these :) 

No problem, I know how frustrating things can be... I am quite experienced with PCs, yet can still run into little things like driver problems that can cause so much system instability and ruin your enjoyment. I must have taken my PC apart (before AND after the new hardware) and re-seated the CPU etc at least 10 times to keep checking the components, running memtest etc. I was Soooo glad when I finally tracked down the problem and got it sorted. In your case the first thing I would do is take off any OC config, check BISO is updated to latest, all drivers from both the motherboard manufacturer to check the chipset etc.. and also from the nvidia website for your graphics just to rule that out too. Also, you might want to check the BIOS to see if you have the onboard GPU doing any work also, or just the PCI-e graphics card as that could potentially cause problems too. I might even be prepared to take out the graphics cards and get everything stable that way with drivers etc, before re-inserting the graphics and installing those drivers.

Sorry if that is long-winded explanation, but with these kinds of problems sometimes you have to just go to barebones system for now to try and troubleshoot the problem one thing at a time. Hope you have good luck with it, i'll follow this thread so I can maybe suggest something if you run into any problems.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I have now updated all the drivers from their manufacturers websites. I removed the wifi card and the sound card in case PCIe lanes had anything to do with anything (not sure though) because of the GPU that might be bit overkill related to the cpu and the motherboard and also to ease the PSU (though i don't know how much the wifi card and the sound card consume power). So i only have the GPU, SSD and 2 HDD's connected along with cpu and memories ofc.

I did not update BIOS because of all the horror stories i've heard about it and i feel that i'm not that experienced user at this point so i'm going to postpone if nothing else works.

I did run memtest86 and i let it do all 4 passes which took 10 hours to complete and it didn't detect any single errors so i don't know if it was waste of time or a good thing :D 

I guess only thing to do now is to use the pc and see if it behaves or not.

It's been now quite many days without any problems so i guess it's safe to say that installing drivers from their manufacturers worked. Thanks for the help guys :)

You're welcome, glad I could help :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 6 years later...
On 2/19/2016 at 5:45 AM, Kalle said:

It's been now quite many days without any problems so i guess it's safe to say that installing drivers from their manufacturers worked. Thanks for the help guys :)

Did this solve this for you? I just cloned an HDD to SSD in a inspiron tower, dell, and it keeps freezing and disk usage is 100%. I've tried bios update, sata driver update, power setting in reg update, switching sata cables, switching sata ports.