Quick question about using your (smart)TV as monitor for laptop

silvrbckgorilla

I was thinking about this.

Is it possible to connect your laptop or ultrabook with a smartTV and use it as monitor?

Requierments:

1. Using TV as monitor with laptop/ultrabook closed or alternatively with laptops screen off

2. Using wireless keyboard and mouse without lag within 3-5 meters distance

many thanks

Intel i5-4460,Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB, 8GB RAM @ 1866Mhz, 120GB SSD + 1,5TB HDD, Asrock H81M-HDS, Fortron hyper 600w

it will take some battery and cpu/gpu power... but is certainly possible! 

1) i think screen has to be open (or off)

2) yes possible!

Yes. 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

ok, that was quick and informative. thanks

1 minute ago, stijnweijters said:

it will take some battery and cpu/gpu power... but is certainly possible! 

1) i think screen has to be open (or off)

2) yes possible!

why GPU or CPU power for that matter? Shouldn't it treat it just like it's own display since the one on laptop is not working?

Intel i5-4460,Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB, 8GB RAM @ 1866Mhz, 120GB SSD + 1,5TB HDD, Asrock H81M-HDS, Fortron hyper 600w

1 minute ago, silvrbckgorilla said:

ok, that was quick and informative. thanks

why GPU or CPU power for that matter? Shouldn't it treat it just like it's own display since the one on laptop is not working?

yes true but if you have a 10 year old laptop it wont like it... newer once will do great and i dont know why but my laptop doesnt want to treat the TV like its own display... probably just a windows/old laptop thing....

ok. I was thinking buying a new ultrabook for that matter. I don't game anymore so I will sell my rig and get an ultrabook for work and travel. Something like LG gram.

It won't be using up more GPU, is just a display, there is no difference between using a TV and the integrated display if you keep both at the same resolution.

If on the other hand you want to use a higher resolution for the TV than what your integrated display has, it will use a bit more processing, but I have used even Pentium 4 machines with a 1080p resolution.  So don't worry about it.

Mystery is the source of all true science.