Raid Card

Beyondtech

Good Afternoon,

Simple question... this raid card says in the name 6.0Gb/s. That is gigabits per second right? In the spec of the product, it says it supports 16*6Gb/s Sata drives. Does this mean my whole raid array will be capped at 6Gb/s?

This may sound stupid but it is just the wording of it.

BeyondTech

DISCLAIMER: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his family or of the little green men that have been following him all day. 
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for some of the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

My Rig:

-  Intel 4790K (overclocked 4.4Ghz)

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1

-  16GB Corsair Vengeance

-  Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD

-  Corsair AX1200i (why? I have no clue... )

-  Hyper 212 Evo

2 hours ago, Beyondtech said:

Good Afternoon,

Simple question... this raid card says in the name 6.0Gb/s. That is gigabits per second right? In the spec of the product, it says it supports 16*6Gb/s Sata drives. Does this mean my whole raid array will be capped at 6Gb/s?

This may sound stupid but it is just the wording of it.

Well for starters that picture is not of the actual card so that doesn't help.

A SFF-8087 port is a 4 lane connector. That RAID card has 4 ports so 4 x 4 = 16 lanes meaning there are 16 6Gb connections for you to use with the correct cables, SFF-8087 to 4 SATA. The RAID array itself will go as fast as the disks, controller and PCI-E port will allow, you will likely be limited by disk speed than anything else.

Edit: Never mind the picture is correct but the layout isn't typical of 4 port card, the other side of the board has 2 more ports but you can't easily see it in the picture on newegg.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Well for starters that picture is not of the actual card so that doesn't help.

A SFF-8087 port is a 4 lane connector. That RAID card has 4 ports so 4 x 4 = 16 lanes meaning there are 16 6Gb connections for you to use with the correct cables, SFF-8087 to 4 SATA. The RAID array itself will go as fast as the disks, controller and PCI-E port will allow, you will likely be limited by disk speed than anything else.

Thanks...

That's what I thought, I just dislike purchasing expensive gear without confirmation from others.

BeyondTech

DISCLAIMER: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his family or of the little green men that have been following him all day. 
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for some of the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

My Rig:

-  Intel 4790K (overclocked 4.4Ghz)

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1

-  16GB Corsair Vengeance

-  Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD

-  Corsair AX1200i (why? I have no clue... )

-  Hyper 212 Evo