Case Fan spinning at 100%

PointlessSteel

Hello everyone! I figure this is one of the best places to ask for a little help.

I've installed a Noctua fan the other day to help with cooling, I figure it'd be able to have my PC be quieter yet still cool well.

It's not worked out yet, I use SpeedFan to keep it at about 45% but otherwise it defaults to 100% with no clear way of adjusting this. My other two case fans (default fans in an NZXT S340) are doing fine and are dead silent. Or almost at least. The Noctua fan is so loud that I can't even hear the stock AMD cooler over it ;p

My motherboard is an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (since I have an AMD FX-8350 CPU) and I've done my best to check the bios which reports that it's spinning fast, but doesn't offer me a way to slow it down. As far as I know everything's set to 'auto'. I've not updated the BIOS from the one that came with it by default.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix it permanently or if the motherboard is the problem?

Thanks to SpeedFan it's under control, but still, I've never had fans spin like this before.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Did you plug it into a cpu fan header? it will rise and fall with cpu if you did... Thats my only idea...

Just now, Nicko_barbeque said:

Did you plug it into a cpu fan header? it will rise and fall with cpu if you did... Thats my only idea...

I can definitely confirm that's not the case! I have my CPU headers at the top with the CPU cooler plugged in. I have (I think) only 3 case headers and they're all being used. It's plugged in near the SATA ports since the fan is at the front of the case.