Antivirus suggestions

So my mom is finally not going to buy Norton antivirus again after years and years of using it, but we don't know what to get now since we've only used Norton. Anyone know of anything good?

malware bytes

avast

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Only thing i use is Malwarebytes(free version) just be careful what you click on.

I use Avast (free), Maywarebytes (free) and Super Antispyware (free).

Those combined it seems to work quite well!

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Microsoft Security Essentials. Or if you Defender is all you need if it's built-in (Windows 8 -10).

19 hours ago, B1air said:

Microsoft Security Essentials. Or if you Defender is all you need if it's built-in (Windows 8 -10).

I'd be careful only using Defender. A lot of malware/viruses are able to slip past it. Avast is what I typically recommend.

Malwarebytes is an awesome tool.  I don't think its actively running and only runs when you ask it to so that's something to keep in mind but it routinely catches things others do not.  I like Webroot and I think it costs 70 USD for it to run on up to 5 computers.  AVG I hear is a pretty good free one. 

On 2/11/2016 at 7:05 AM, Spartaton said:

So my mom is finally not going to buy Norton antivirus again after years and years of using it, but we don't know what to get now since we've only used Norton. Anyone know of anything good?

Although different people have different opinion , suggestion and experience but currently in paid product Bitdefender and Kespersky are leading brand in AV product, This two product is certified and recommend by many independent test lab.

For free AV - avast is chosen by many people.

But what ever product you buy , i will recommend " malware bytes " as a second opinion scanner in every PC

Malwarebytes yearly license is $20 which includes live scanning. If I hadn't purchased the lifetime license I would go with that.

If you want a free solution try:
1) Common sense & standard MSE (built in with  win8+ anti-malware program with real time scanning).
2) Ublock or Adblock+ with the Malwaredomains list enabled (blocks connection to known viral websites)
image.png
3) Weekly scans with mbam just in case.

If you are paranoid you can also use the free version of Zemana AntiLogger which takes any key you press and encrypts it very early then decrypts it later meaning that should you get a keylogger it will most likely only copy random encrypted jibberish.

AVG because

a) It's free

b) It comes with a firewall

c) It automatically detects virus' when there is any activity around the files it's in or modifying rather than having to scan after you get infected.

d) It has a very user friendly UI

7 hours ago, JUJUJU655624667 said:

AVG because

a) It's free

b) It comes with a firewall

c) It automatically detects virus' when there is any activity around the files it's in or modifying rather than having to scan after you get infected.

d) It has a very user friendly UI

Same opinion, i had avast for the longest time only to realize it changed nothing and the only thing it did was to break my ears with the updates. AVG paired with MalwareBytes is what I recommend to everyone.

Core i5 3470 (25% oc) | GTX 770 (15% oc) | 16Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz | Corsair H110 | Corsair C70 Black | Corsair CX600M | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb + 1Tb Seagate Barracuda | Intel PRO 1000 pt-dp