New build

I consider myself a semi-power user I demand a lot from my computers and am looking to start up a new build as for the last 7 years or so I've been on laptops almost exclusively. my last desktop was a Dell XPS 410. dual core 1.86gightz intel with 4 gigs DDR2. I know slow right? but at the time it was a kickass system.

I now roll with a dell XPS L702: (heavy so she stays at home) 17" touchscreen laptop with an i7 2630QM processor 4c8t 2.0gightz with turbo up to 2.90gightz. 8 gigs DDR3, geforce GT 555m dual 500gig sata drives (non SSD)

also have a dell inspiron N5050 14" laptop that I travel with, has a intil i5 (dunno the clock speed... 8gig DDR3, 1tb hdd..

at home I also have a FreeNAS server running my old PC intel core 2 duo 1.86gightz, 4 gig ram (yes I know only half of recommended, but it works), 1 16gig USB (OS), and 2 2TB HDDS.

I;m planning to build a decent workstation for at home. so far I'm thinking this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P4qszy

eventually I'd like to add in a raid 5 array to take over the FreeNAS duties as all I really use the FreeNAS for is PLEX media server & some FTP/storage of files. I dont see the disadvantages of Raid 5 being a huge issue for me. otherwise I'd just go with Raid6. still in the planning stages really.

Rubbish SSDs as Kingston did a bait and switch on them. If I were you, I'd grab one 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and be done with it.

On a side note, where's the PSU?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

well that's where I'm stuck.. I dunno if I should go semi-modular, or what... and what ratings? I someday do plan to try water cooling with a custom loop. but that also calls into play the case.. was thinking of a HAF 942... plenty big enough, and will support a rad or two, but also capable with air cooling for now.

19 minutes ago, Scott17818 said:

well that's where I'm stuck.. I dunno if I should go semi-modular, or what... and what ratings? I someday do plan to try water cooling with a custom loop. but that also calls into play the case.. was thinking of a HAF 942... plenty big enough, and will support a rad or two, but also capable with air cooling for now.

A good 550W PSU would be fine (if you don't plan on upgrading to a 980Ti - in which I'd go for a 650W instead). Semi-modular is a cheap solution for decent cable management. I recommend the EVGA 550 G2 which is fully modular and a great PSU.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

What do you use this for?

Whats your budget?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Rubbish SSDs as Kingston did a bait and switch on them. If I were you, I'd grab one 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and be done with it.

On a side note, where's the PSU?

I plan to replace my FreeNAS server (plex media server), and serve as a workstation PC for myself. editing videos, photos, etc. I want an all arounder that'll be "futureproof" (yes I know this does'nt exist). but in all a decent computer for me to play around with. it's not a "WORK PC" but something that'll handle anything I throw at it.. games, workloads, graphics. etc. I plan to do monthly backups to an external 2-4 tb drive with family photos/videos on it. 

I chose the 2011 v3 processor as it has a great avenue for upgrading as there are up to 18 core procs out there for it, and DDR4 support.