Use a joystick in Dirt 3?

Jordaneer

okay, so this may be a stupid question (and it probably is) I have a Logitech attack 3 joystick and I'm wondering if its possible to somehow use it in Dirt 3 or dirt showdown so I don't have to be stuck using the keyboard, I know joysticks are meant for flight sim games more than anything, but I was wondering if its possible to somehow emulate the x axis as a racing wheel? and if not, whats a cheap adaptor for using a gamepad (specifically xbox 360) on a PC, or if that isn't possible, can you use a Wii controller since they communicate via bluetooth?

and also what is a relatively cheap racing wheel (like under $100) that doesn't suck?

7 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

okay, so this may be a stupid question (and it probably is) I have a Logitech attack 3 joystick and I'm wondering if its possible to somehow use it in Dirt 3 or dirt showdown so I don't have to be stuck using the keyboard, I know joysticks are meant for flight sim games more than anything, but I was wondering if its possible to somehow emulate the x axis as a racing wheel? and if not, whats a cheap adaptor for using a gamepad (specifically xbox 360) on a PC, or if that isn't possible, can you use a Wii controller since they communicate via bluetooth?

and also what is a relatively cheap racing wheel (like under $100) that doesn't suck?

Just go to amazon and search Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter. It is like $20 and grab a controller for cheap.

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

1 minute ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

Just go to amazon and search Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter. It is like $20 and grab a controller for cheap.

im just wondering because I already have an xbox 360 controller.

1 minute ago, Jordaneer said:

im just wondering because I already have an xbox 360 controller.

Yeah, the adapter is really cheap.. So I would get that and then get a racing wheel later down the line.. I personally use my Xbox controller more than my racing setup (Logitech G27 Wheel with Brake mod) 

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

on dirt 3 a controller works fine. on dirt rally.. not so much compared to steering wheel

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

1 minute ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

Yeah, the adapter is really cheap.. So I would get that and then get a racing wheel later down the line.. I personally use my Xbox controller more than my racing setup (Logitech G27 Wheel with Brake mod) 

how is racing with an xbox controller? I've tried forza 4 on my xbox and thought it was slightly obnoxious with the gas and steering, especially only having all brake or no brake. is it easier on PC?

I can race with my big toe on a keyboard come on...

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Just now, Jordaneer said:

how is racing with an xbox controller? I've tried forza 4 on my xbox and thought it was slightly obnoxious with the gas and steering, especially only having all brake or no brake. is it easier on PC?

It is on the triggers so you can choose what amount of brake and gas you want. It is the exact same on PC.. 

Just now, LokiFire said:

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I remember the Voodoo cards :)

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

on dirt 3 a controller works fine. on dirt rally.. not so much compared to steering wheel

I would eventually like to get into something like Dirt Rally or WRC 5, but dirt 3 and dirt showdown were so cheap at under $10 for both on the steam sale currently that I decided to just try those.

2 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

I would eventually like to get into something like Dirt Rally or WRC 5, but dirt 3 and dirt showdown were so cheap at under $10 for both on the steam sale currently that I decided to just try those.

dirt rally is more like a simulation and tries to be realistic, cant enjoy it with a controller. 

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

2 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

dirt rally is more like a simulation and tries to be realistic, cant enjoy it with a controller. 

From what I've heard in reviews, its actually a very good rally sim, as opposed to just the arcadeness of dirt 3 or dirt showdown. another random question, is how would something like this be as a racing wheel setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-USB-Momo-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel-Pedals-Shifter-for-PC-/262281986516?hash=item3d113981d4:g:3xkAAOSwKtVWuNlO 

I've always had good luck with logitech stuff with their keyboards and mice and joysticks. I've had 3 of their wireless mice and 1 keyboard and always have liked them

1 minute ago, Jordaneer said:

From what I've heard in reviews, its actually a very good rally sim, as opposed to just the arcadeness of dirt 3 or dirt showdown. another random question, is how would something like this be as a racing wheel setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-USB-Momo-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel-Pedals-Shifter-for-PC-/262281986516?hash=item3d113981d4:g:3xkAAOSwKtVWuNlO

Not really that good, Logitech DFGT is the minimum i recommend for PC sim game. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Driving-Force-GT-941-000020-PS3-PS4-Force-Feedback-Wheel-DFGT-/222016348712?hash=item33b134a228:g:1kwAAOSwFqJWtVS3

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

it does indeed a very good job at being a rally sim!

that setup wouldnt do its justice. everything thats cheaper than a used G27 is a Toy imho. g27 is okay. TM t500 is great.

Fire Strike Score

8 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

it does indeed a very good job! 

that setup wouldnt do its justice. everything thats cheaper than a used G27 is a Toy imho. g27 is okay. TM t500 is great.

those are a wee bit (as in a lot) out of my price range. I know stuff like a logitech g27 or g25 would be better, but I don't have the budget to spend about half as much on a racing setup as I did on my entire PC tower.

12 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

that definitely looks fairly doable in my budget, it looks like other ones have sold for close to that when looking at completed listings, (other than this one which for some reason sold for 200 bucks, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-PlayStation-2-3-or-PC-Windows-Driving-Force-GT-Racing-Wheel-/131718315117?hash=item1eab05fc6d:g:wxcAAOSwXshWsWVc)