Overclocking CPU? Memory issue?

Go to solution Solved by fire219,

For the RAM: Yes, you can just select 1866 and it should run at that speed. You can try the higher speeds. It may not be stable, but it won't damage anything. You would just have to set it back to 1866 or lower in that case.

For the CPU: Messing with the base frequency is usually a bad idea. Almost everything in your system is referenced to that clock, and changing it very far from stock can make things go very wrong.

Hi. So I wanted to know how to overclock my amd 860k. It is on an a88xm motherboard with a vortex plus cooler.

Also, there is a bug where my memory is showing at 1333, even though it is an 1866 kit.

The pucture is of my over locking tab. As you can see, there is a lot of stuff. First, my ram. There is something called dram frequency. When I click on it, it brings up different memory clock speeds. Do I just select 1866? Also can I actually choose 2133 or 2400 and it will run at that speed?

Now onto the CPU. When I click on base frequency. It lets me change that number. What I am understanding is if I change that number, it will multiply it by 37 and that will be my clock speed. Is that the correct way?

Also so there is that button on the left called oc genie. I would love to know what that does.

also I never loaded optimized defaults in my bios. Should I do that?

image.jpg

cpu base frequency is 100mhz

cpu clock ratio is basiclly how many time that.

a ratio of 20 would be (20 x 100mhz) 2GHz

stock speed is 3700mhz or a ratio of 37.

set the ratio at like 38, 39, 40 and so fourth to over clock.

you can get away with 100mhz more without any extra power, but after that add voltage to the vcore

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

It's "CPU Base frequency" I believe. My mobo is different so..

Change that to like 150.00 and see what happens

I don't OC much because I like to stay safe when it comes to things like this, so sorry if I'm not a big help :/

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

For the RAM: Yes, you can just select 1866 and it should run at that speed. You can try the higher speeds. It may not be stable, but it won't damage anything. You would just have to set it back to 1866 or lower in that case.

For the CPU: Messing with the base frequency is usually a bad idea. Almost everything in your system is referenced to that clock, and changing it very far from stock can make things go very wrong.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

1 minute ago, aidenrelkoff said:

cpu base frequency is 100mhz

cpu clock ratio is basiclly how many time that.

a ratio of 20 would be (20 x 100mhz) 2GHz

stock speed is 3700mhz or a ratio of 37.

set the ratio at like 38, 39, 40 and so fourth to over clock.

you can get away with 100mhz more without any extra power, but after that add voltage to the vcore

Alright but how much voltage? 

Also can you answer my questions about memory and optimized defaults?

1 minute ago, fire219 said:

Ok thanks. So base frequency no, but someone said change the CPU ratio. Is that ok?

3 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

It's "CPU Base frequency" I believe. My mobo is different so..

Change that to like 150.00 and see what happens

I don't OC much because I like to stay safe when it comes to things like this, so sorry if I'm not a big help :/

if you make it 150 you system will not boot because then you will have an effective speed of 150 x 37 which is  5.55GHz

never ever change the base speed unless its a xeon and you want to OC

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Just now, MTMaster said:

Ok thanks. So base frequency no, but someone said change the CPU ratio. Is that ok?

Changing the ratio is fine. Standard precautions apply.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

1 minute ago, fire219 said:

Changing the ratio is fine. Standard precautions apply.

correct, changing the base speed will end horridly 

16 minutes ago, aidenrelkoff said:

correct, changing the base speed will end horridly 

Ok also one more question should I load optimized defaults?

21 hours ago, MTMaster said:

Ok also one more question should I load optimized defaults?

optimized defaults will disable OCs, so no