Slow hdd?

IsaacDaGrazin

so

Earlier I opened up tf2 and counted how long it took, and it took 81 seconds just to get to the main screen

why is it so slow? its a http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM001/dp/B005T3GRN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455036178&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+2tb+hdd

is there any way to speed it up? or clean it?

im on Ubuntu 14.04, its about 38 degrees Celsius the hdd

ive had it for about 1 1/2 years so maybe it could be getting old? but i heard they could live for 5 years? idk if this is related to this but a while back when i tried to install windows from the bootable usb it said that my hdd wasn’t available so i couldn’t choose it, i made a post about it a whiile back

Spoiler

Posted 25 Dec 2015 · Original Poster

So I'm currently installing windows on my Acer Aspire Xc-605, when I click install now 'Setup Is starting' pops up then terms and conditions are thee I click accept, then next I get 'which type of installation do you want?' I click 'Upgrade: Install windows and keep files, settings and applications.' When I click that Compatibly report' comes it says to remove my usb and restart I remove my usb click close and restart but when it comes back up it says its missing and I need to plug it in I do that then it scanned my usb then says there are no device drivers were found please please someone help me I'm begging ;-;

also this:

Spoiler

So i tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my pc while i was half way through clearing my hdd and wiping windows i had an error and i cant load the Ubuntu installer again. I got the windows media creation tool and tried to reinstall windows it kinda worked but i get stuck when i try and select which hdd to install it on it says the hdd is not compatible and i need to get driver devices? please some one help me im desperate i cant do anything with my pc i dont know where to get 'driver devices' from please some one! :(

it happened on Christmas and i fixed it on new years day? coincidence i think so, i also got shit scared xD i thought my pc was fucked x3

i have also had some very loud buzzing sounds while booting once (also a while back but i think it has caused some damage? i contacted windows (i literally don’t know why the fuck i done that since they develop software/OS’s xD) and they said not to worry?)

and i have also had a 100% drive usage problem in windows

this is my problem when i was trying to install windows

mechanical btw :P

if any more info is needed please ask :D

boi!

and when i had windows apparently i had 16 platters and 8 heads (lmao)

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info and give us the results that that generates. It sounds like you have a dying HDD on your hands but go ahead and post that to make sure. I would also begin to back up your critical data.

1 minute ago, Bgordy2013 said:

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info and give us the results that that generates. It sounds like you have a dying HDD on your hands but go ahead and post that to make sure. I would also begin to back up your critical data.

does it supports linux distros?

Looks like it does not. Try install Gnome Disk Utility.

sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility

Then start that by going to Start --> Settings --> Disk Utility

2 minutes ago, Bgordy2013 said:

Looks like it does not. Try install Gnome Disk Utility.

sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility

Then start that by going to Start --> Settings --> Disk Utility

sudo says i already have it? and its updated?

but i cant find it anywhere

2 minutes ago, Bgordy2013 said:

Try running it via command line.

sudo palimpsest

sudo: palimpsest: command not found

Sounds good. The results ought to let you know if it is time to buy a new hard drive or not. If it comes back as a healthy drive, try defragging and opening up some space on it if possible. 

3 hours ago, Bgordy2013 said:
3 hours ago, Bgordy2013 said:

Sounds good. The results ought to let you know if it is time to buy a new hard drive or not. If it comes back as a healthy drive, try defragging and opening up some space on it if possible. 

its installed on the software centre but i cant find it anywhere?

i found something called 'Disks' it was pre-installed so im going to try that

it says that my hdd is 'Ok'

idk if its supposed to be that?

should i start backing up?

I Got 2 Seagate HDD which was running slow (250GB + 160GB) 160 GB was bought less than a year ago. I bought the 160 GB because the 250 GB was too slow so I decided to install Operating System on the New 160GB and use the 250 for storage. But the plan didn't work out. The 160 GB slow down just 3-4 Months after I bought it. At that time I was running windows 8.1 and it was terrible it takes more than a minute to get to lock screen and when I type My password on the keyboard it won't appear instantly it just appear after 10-20 seconds after I type it and when the desktop appear the icons will not load. It takes 30 seconds to load the icon and refreshing it will slow down much more. But I removed the 250GB and things get a bit more fast but still the 160 Is slow too so I am running Windows Vista.

On 9.02.2016 г. at 7:03 PM, IsaacDaGrazin said:

~snip~

Hey again :)

I would suggest to simply connect the drive to an already working PC as a secondary device and then scan it with a diagnostic tool and see what the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status would show you. Using the tool from the manufacture is also recommended. Post the status here if you need help reading it.

For Linux you can check these out:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/528072/how-can-i-check-the-smart-status-of-a-drive-on-ubuntu-14-04-through-15-10
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20393/how-do-i-interpret-hdd-s-m-a-r-t-results

Post back with some progress! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/