Home server rack?

Method

I'm trying to find a server rack/cabinet big enough to hold a few server, nothing bigger than 24U. This will hold a NAS, home router (pfsense) and at least one server (likely in a 2u). I got a bunch of 4u cases from my old job a while ago and I want to put them to use. The NAS is already in one of them, the pfsense router will follow suit soon probably in a smaller 2u or something if I can find one.

Problem is, server racks are freakin expensive. Everything I'm seeing online is upwards of $500, even used, or require crazy shipping (meaning they won't disassemble) Any of you guys have a home server cabinet? Any tips of where I could find a small to medium sized one?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I'm betting yer in the americans?
if yer in scandinavia I could hook you up, outside that, there isn't much I can do, sorry.

some places they arent cheap, some places they are. i tried ebay but nope.

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/9196-rackz-r24c-rack-cabinet-contractor-24u.html

closest i could get i suppose

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Maybe try doing a DIY Ikea LACK rack? I hear they fit standard sized server racks, although they aren't particularly high-capacity. Still, at $13 CAD, they're a pretty cheap option, though you'd probably need like 3 of them... and maybe some reinforcement so they don't crumble...

IKEA LACK: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90302060/#/20011413

LackRack Wiki: https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

5 hours ago, MrSuperb said:

that is only 457mm deep ...

you never specified any depth so...

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

1 minute ago, paradigm249 said:

you never specified any depth so...

he said, that he wanted to use it for servers.

those low depth cases are meant for networking equipment.

so ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Just now, MrSuperb said:

he said, that he wanted to use it for servers.

those low depth cases are meant for networking equipment.

so ...

oh... sorry :/

Spoiler

It is server stuff, expect to pay a lot for it. Either build you own or pay the money for something good. I would just build my own but that is me. 

Pretty easy to build with some 2x4s if you don't care about how it looks. Otherwise look on Craigslist, around me every once and a while a Datacenter will liquidate and sell off all their racks for super low prices. 

I have a half rack StarTech that I got on craigslist for 100 bucks. I'd say try all local outlets you can, and check on ebay for local pickup only listings. If you're comfortable with it, it's a great way to go. 

Get 2 Ikea Lack tables. They make extended ones that will fit a deep server too. They fit rack-mount gear perfect and are like 10 bucks each.

Just as @scrappy said, your best bet is probably somewhere local, like Craigslist or local pickups on Ebay.

I see them all the time on Craigslist, and usually really cheap too!

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Have a look at the local tip/recycler - they may have one or be able to keep an eye out for you.

We just had a department store close and they were selling Dell full sized racks for $250.

Might want to look for a store closing near you. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

2nd hand ones should be cheap i use to work for a company that use to just throw them away cause they couldn't sell them

• 1 year later...
On 8.2.2016 at 9:29 AM, MagnusGrønstad said:

I'm betting yer in the americans?
if yer in scandinavia I could hook you up, outside that, there isn't much I can do, sorry.

Old thread. Sorry about that. Can you still hook up some Scandinavias for a server rack? :) Looking for a 4U hot swap rack. Located in Norway.

Sure new ones are pretty high priced, but on second hand markets they drop them for pretty low often

Problem is to sell them cost a fortune to the postal service,

i got my 42U rack pretty cheap but its really heavy stuff!

it cost me a lot of swet to transport and bring it into my appartment on 4th floor lol

so be prepaired!  no problem get a used one, just be sure all parts included,

when lucky you maybe can get sliderails included, and thats make it lot more worth.

17 hours ago, kyrre said:

Old thread. Sorry about that. Can you still hook up some Scandinavias for a server rack? :) Looking for a 4U hot swap rack. Located in Norway.

I think you are asking for the wrong thing, you want a case right? Something to put the hardware in not to mount the server case in?

4 hours ago, KirbyTech said:

I think you are asking for the wrong thing, you want a case right? Something to put the hardware in not to mount the server case in?

Yes. I misunderstood the whole thing, I guess :)

I'm looking for a server rack case.

58 minutes ago, kyrre said:

I'm looking for a server rack case.

Ah no problem-)  i dont know any in Norway for that but maybe from UK can be interesting, havnt found much more than

xcase.uk  prices are not bad even after tax...  they have lot of choice anyway