Desktop speaker amp?

spwath

I am looking for a small desktop speaker amp. I am using an onkyo receiver right now, but I have relized, i dont realy find any benifit in surround sound.

What I would like:

• Would be nice to have sub out, if not, thats OK
  • Needs to drive my possibly 4 ohm speakers, but they might be 8 ohm, not sure.
  • Smallish
  • Banana Plugs
  • Under 100$, prefereably cheaper, without a noticable difference from my receiver. Should note my receiver now i hear crackling when adjusting volume on a bassy track.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

oh, i forgot to mention, Id want one with banana plugs, for convienence sake.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I've been looking at the smsl q5 pro for myself (newer version has a micro usb port on the back)

it's about $135 (I know it's a bit over budget)

but seems to be pretty good if you don't mind waiting for delivery from china 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-Q5-Pro-Pure-Digital-HiFi-Amplifier-USB-Fiber-Coaxial-Optical-Audio-Power-/151855583168?hash=item235b4c4fc0:g:eRIAAOSwT5tWJul4

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

1 minute ago, GeekThief said:

I've been looking at the smsl q5 pro for myself (newer version has a micro usb port on the back)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-Q5-Pro-Pure-Digital-HiFi-Amplifier-USB-Fiber-Coaxial-Optical-Audio-Power-/151855583168?hash=item235b4c4fc0:g:eRIAAOSwT5tWJul4

That looks Pretty nice, seems to have everything i want, I'll consider that

17 minutes ago, GeekThief said:

Looks like either that, or

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-A2-Digital-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B014P5I8SG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=31VK1lwcB0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0GQQ80AT25EE6HY551WJ

The one I linked looks pretty similar, just with no Dac, but still has Sub out

Looks nice 
Good find if you don't need the dac.
but might be worth seeing what other people come up with too as i'm not that great on audio stuff.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Just now, GeekThief said:

Looks nice 
Good find if you don't need the dac.
but might be worth seeing what other people come up with too as i'm not that great on audio stuff.

Well SMSL is well regarded in the audio world.

Ill have to decide between these two, the one with a dac also comes with a remote, that might be nice

Hold on why we all recommending amps when we dont even know the specs of the speakers. You pick the amp when you know what the speakers need to power them. If you have a under powered amp to get the volume you will lose high frequencies (the high school dj affect). And if you use a amp too powerful you can blow the speakers. How can you pick a amp which is good if you dont know what its got to be good with.

The Dick of the audio page!

53 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Hold on why we all recommending amps when we dont even know the specs of the speakers. You pick the amp when you know what the speakers need to power them. If you have a under powered amp to get the volume you will lose high frequencies (the high school dj affect). And if you use a amp too powerful you can blow the speakers. How can you pick a amp which is good if you dont know what its got to be good with.

I know the speakers, i have them, but i can not find specs anywhere, as they are out of production.

They are "omega mini me", the guy i bought them from said they were 4 ohm, but seem to get equal loudness per volume as my 8 ohm Polk r15

Hmm, not sure which one. @SSL has discovered That an external dac isn't necisary, but it might be nice to have the extra features like the display and more inputs.

EDIT: hmm, tagging didnt work on mobile

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Hmm, not sure which one. @SSL has discovered That an external dac isn't necisary, but it might be nice to have the extra features like the display and more inputs.

EDIT: hmm, tagging didnt work on mobile

That's right. People over-recommend DACs to "fix" EMI and other such issues. Once that kind of stuff is no longer the problem, (cheap) DACs all sound about the same, including integrated ones.

Just now, SSL said:

That's right. People over-recommend DACs to "fix" EMI and other such issues. Once that kind of stuff is no longer the problem, (cheap) DACs all sound about the same, including integrated ones.

But I may go for the one with the Dac in it, just for the mic and additional inputs.

Though if that is worth 30$ more, IDK...

It also looks like it is more powerfull, 45w vs 40w

I might just stick with my receiver for now. It takes up a lot of space, and the digital inputs dont work, but I already have it.

On 2/7/2016 at 1:09 PM, EndlessOyster said:

Ok, i found out from the guy Who made them, 4 ohm, 90db sensitivity

I decided to take the risk and got this chinese 2.1 amp a while ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YJ-HiFi-TPA3116-2-1-CSR4-0-Bluetooth-4-0-Module-Digital-Amplifier-Finished-/301511859144

I was not able to find many 2.1 amps for a similar price so I went with it. I have not tried any other speaker amps except for the Lepai, and compared to that I like this way more. More than enough power for me and the bluetooth feature is pretty convinient. You will have to get a power supply for it which will be like $25. Amazon sells a combo: http://www.amazon.com/Baitaihem-Channel-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Bluetooth/dp/B00Z6ID2O2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454995186&sr=8-6&keywords=2.1+amp

I was planning on only using it till I got new speakers, but I don't think I will. The bluetooth is so handy when people are over and want to play their own music.

I have not used banana plugs, but I think you can use them if you want. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

On 7-2-2016 at 7:09 PM, EndlessOyster said:

Why would an under powered amp affect high frequency response?

'Picking a good amp' is over rated. You could hurt the speakers with a small amp, you could hurt them with a large amp.

With normal use either would work fine though. IMO over powered is the best way to go (avoids clipping and high frequency loading)

On 7-2-2016 at 10:32 PM, spwath said:

But I may go for the one with the Dac in it, just for the mic and additional inputs.

Though if that is worth 30$ more, IDK...

It also looks like it is more powerfull, 45w vs 40w

10log(45/40)=0.5dB

That's not even noticable.

This watt fetish is getting out of hand

12 minutes ago, Lutkeveld said:

Why would an under powered amp affect high frequency response?

'Picking a good amp' is over rated. You could hurt the speakers with a small amp, you could hurt them with a large amp.

With normal use either would work fine though. IMO over powered is the best way to go (avoids clipping and high frequency loading)

10log(45/40)=0.5dB

That's not even noticable.

This watt fetish is getting out of hand

Hmm, right.

I'll probably just stick to my receiver for now Though.

10 minutes ago, Lutkeveld said:

Okay.... What was the point of this topic then?

Now, none.

But i was just weighing my options, needed to see what there was and how much it would cost.

But i think I'll stick with my receiver despite its large size and volume pot issues.