First Build ever

So me and my roommate are making our first builds ever and we're going for a somewhat future proof build. What do you guys think?  I'm also undecided on which gpu to get,  but I was thinking an gtx970 or an Asus radon r9 390 8gb. Any thoughts? I also want to oc the ram and CPU 

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 MID tower

CPU: Core I7 4790K 4.0GHZ

Motherboard: Asus LGA ATX 2600 DDR3 1150 Z97-E/ USB 3.1

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb 1866mhz

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro series h100i gtx

OS storage and frequent apps: crucial bx100 120gb ssd

Storage: Wd blue 1tb 7200

Psu: evga 750 supernova gold economic mode

Use this wonderful site called http://pcpartpicker.com/, it just makes viewing a whole lot easier. The build looks pretty good, but if you're able I'd recommend a 250gb SSD, 120's fill up too fast- the price gap isn't that big anyway. As for the GPU, I'd probably recommend the 390. Also remember to read this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

Hope I could help.

What I'm wondering is why OC the RAM instead of the GPU?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Hi and welcome @Breatheforever....

Without knowing your budget i would recommend the following......

1. get nothing less than a 250gb SSD if you plan to do gaming with more than 10 AAA games
  2. If you plan to OC the RAM then get a kit that is 1600/1866mhz with a voltage of 1.5 and a CL of like 9-9-9-xx(xx being what ever because almost any kit of enthusiast RAM can OCed with that kind of timings. Also plan to spen a good number of days getting the RAM OC stable, it is a hard and tedious job to under take.
  3. I would recommend GSkill/Patriot/Samsung for OCing RAM with Samsung RAM being the easiest to OC but the hardest to find
  4. If you like to run games with the highest of textures and or resolutions then get the 390 but for cool temperatures and for using some of the features of GeForce then the 970 is obvious
  5. Get a good-great TIM for the CPU too to help get a better CPU OC. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Anyone can list down high-end parts to 'future proof' a build. At the end of the day, it's about what you're willing to pay for a high end system that you're envisioning. It's more than just picking out parts, it needs research and comparison as well.

Don't end up with a system where you'll be unsatisfied with anything. Also, a GTX 970 is about on par with a R9 380, if not better. Just because it has more VRAM, doesn't necessarily mean it's better, and I'm not saying this because I prefer Nvidia over AMD.

Main Rig -

▸CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k  | ▸GPU: MSi GTX 970 | ▸Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | ▸Case: Corsair 500R

▸Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming | ▸RAM: 16GB HyperX Savage | ▸PSU: Rosewill Photon Modular 650W 80+ Gold

AMD 390 9Gb is better and more future proof than 970

AMD architecture perform better as resolution gets higher+8Gb for better 4K higher texture games

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider

2 hours ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

What I'm wondering is why OC the RAM instead of the GPU?

Im actually not sure. My case know supports one 240mm water cooling system 

2 hours ago, FriedRyce said:

Anyone can list down high-end parts to 'future proof' a build. At the end of the day, it's about what you're willing to pay for a high end system that you're envisioning. It's more than just picking out parts, it needs research and comparison as well.

Don't end up with a system where you'll be unsatisfied with anything. Also, a GTX 970 is about on par with a R9 380, if not better. Just because it has more VRAM, doesn't necessarily mean it's better, and I'm not saying this because I prefer Nvidia over AMD.

It's gonna be about a $1400 build. I've read many things about both but it doesn't seem like the 970 will be able to sport multiple monitors as well as the r9. Definitely just guessing