Project Ice Dragon

Clanscorpia

After hours of thinking about my preferences, I went back to white and blue for my setup and PC. My budget is $2000 and I'm wondering what I can do to improve this build. The GPU in this build is not the one I'm going to get, it's a placeholder in price for the Polaris/Pascal GPU I'm going to get later so getting a better GPU for the price range would be sweet. I'd like to have Skylake for this build as well. I'll be gaming at 1440p and I also program a lot and I'm planning on learning to edit. Here's my build idea.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/gFNdsY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/gFNdsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($394.34 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.67 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($231.62 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($127.54 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($830.55 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($190.40 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($185.32 @ shopRBC)
Case Fan: Corsair SP120 57.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($15.82 @ shopRBC)
Other: NZXT Hue+ ($75.00)
Total: $2277.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 14:12 EST-0500

I'm planning on getting the K70 for my keyboard and g402 for my mouse. I'm not sure what monitor I'm going to get yet but my budget for one is $400 CAD

and I'd like it to be 1440p and IPS. The monitor is not included in the PC budget. And its $250 more than $2000 because I have tax enabled. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

After hours of thinking about my preferences, I went back to white and blue for my setup and PC. My budget is $2000 and I'm

Skylake usually isn't worth it over haswell, and you can  get a way better CPU for that budget either a 5820K or Xeon 1231v3 

What's the budget for the monitor then?

You should look for 120mm fan 4 packs, they're of much better value.

Did you already have storage? I don't see any there.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Skylake usually isn't worth it over haswell, and you can  get a way better CPU for that budget either a 5820K or Xeon 1231v3 

What's the budget for the monitor then?

You should look for 120mm fan 4 packs, they're of much better value.

Did you already have storage? I don't see any there.

My budget for the monitor is $400. And I dont see how I could get a 5820K with that budget. And no Xeon because I want to OC. I already have storage and an SSD will be my first upgrade

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

37 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

My budget for the monitor is $400. And I dont see how I could get a 5820K with that budget. And no Xeon because I want to OC. I already have storage and an SSD will be my first upgrade

Way Better CPU/ Better GPU, still under budget, with the nano's recent price drop it's about the best high end GPU to buy, plus with AMD you'd save money on a free-sync display vs a G-sync display

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/fThhWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/fThhWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($551.05 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($37.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($357.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($105.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($719.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1949.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 20:16 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Way Better CPU/ Better GPU, still under budget, with the nano's recent price drop it's about the best high end GPU to buy, plus with AMD you'd save money on a free-sync display vs a G-sync display

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/fThhWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/fThhWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($551.05 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($37.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($357.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($105.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($719.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1949.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 20:16 EST-0500

Wow, again with the GPU they are just placeholders for the price. Will Broadwell-E be on X99? And that is crazy that you could make that. Could you do one with a 6700K because I know it would be cheaper than X99 and I could get a better case. The Noctis 450 is essential. This build is also about aesthetics

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Wow, again with the GPU they are just placeholders for the price. Will Broadwell-E be on X99? And that is crazy that you could make that. Could you do one with a 6700K because I know it would be cheaper than X99 and I could get a better case. The Noctis 450 is essential. This build is also about aesthetics

The 6700K costs as much as 5820K, broadwell-E will be X99 yes, but it's a 5% performance increase like skylake so it's not worth worrying about, you just get more cores in the high end

but ya, just gotta forget about asthetics not like it matters, although if you were planning this build months in advanced everything is going to change by then anyways.

the only other price difference is in the motherboard, but that's easily worth paying extra for to get onto X99

6700K $535

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80662i76700k

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The 6700K costs as much as 5820K, broadwell-E will be X99 yes, but it's a 5% performance increase like skylake so it's not worth worrying about, you just get more cores in the high end

but ya, just gotta forget about asthetics not like it matters, although if you were planning this build months in advanced everything is going to change by then anyways.

the only other price difference is in the motherboard, but that's easily worth paying extra for to get onto X99

6700K $535

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80662i76700k

I really do want a nice looking case though. Its been like my dream. Plus I might watercool in the future. and I have no use for the extra cores on the 5820K. The 6700K in better for me.

Spoiler

AXIOM

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I really do want a nice looking case though. Its been like my dream. Plus I might watercool in the future. and I have no use for the extra cores on the 5820K. The 6700K in better for me.

Well find a use sometime, because it makes much more sense to buy over a 6700K, otherwise buy a Xeon 1231v3 like I said earlier.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well find a use sometime, because it makes much more sense to buy over a 6700K, otherwise buy a Xeon 1231v3 like I said earlier.

Well, if you olny make it a bit over I'll go for it

Spoiler

AXIOM

39 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I think I'm going for the 6700K. The 5820K with the Mobo is a lot more and has stuff I'll never use and the Xeon has no OCing so I think ima go for it

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

I think I'm going for the 6700K. The 5820K with the Mobo is a lot more and has stuff I'll never use and the Xeon has no OCing so I think ima go for it

You don't need overclocking for anything really, games are already going to run at well over 60fps on the Xeon 1231v3, and the X99 platform in general is going to be better and last you longer. If nothing else the X99 platform is going to end up with a better resale value for the far future

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You don't need overclocking for anything really, games are already going to run at well over 60fps on the Xeon 1231v3, and the X99 platform in general is going to be better and last you longer. If nothing else the X99 platform is going to end up with a better resale value for the far future

Well, I guess I'll go for X99. I guess if I need it I can get a Xeon for more cores. The thing is I've always heard that for gaming you want to spend more of your budget on you GPU, not CPU. I'll have to go for a weaker GPU with X99. Unless Polaris is heavily optimized

Spoiler

AXIOM

6 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Well, I guess I'll go for X99. I guess if I need it I can get a Xeon for more cores. The thing is I've always heard that for gaming you want to spend more of your budget on you GPU, not CPU. I'll have to go for a weaker GPU with X99. Unless Polaris is heavily optimized

Isn't the focus on CAD then gaming? Also the X99 build already has a high end GPU in it.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Isn't the focus on CAD then gaming? Also the X99 build already has a high end GPU in it.

Gaming and Programming equal and some CAD. Isnt the 980 better than the nano? And doesnt  it have better cooling?

Spoiler

AXIOM

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Gaming and Programming equal and some CAD. Isnt the 980 better than the nano? And doesnt  it have better cooling?

the nano is faster overall, and saves you money on a free-sync display. This is even with the ridiculous settings here that you'd never really use, also you can further bump up the power limit on the nano, and so long as you give it some airflow it'll be fine, the price drop on the nano makes it a pretty solid buy right now

Music in the videos is annoying though

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the nano is faster overall, and saves you money on a free-sync display. This is even with the ridiculous settings here that you'd never really use, also you can further bump up the power limit on the nano, and so long as you give it some airflow it'll be fine, the price drop on the nano makes it a pretty solid buy right now

Music in the videos is annoying though

What about a Fury instead? I dont want a tiny card like the Nano

Spoiler

AXIOM

What about a Fury instead? I dont want a tiny card like the Nano

Pretty much all the fury cards perform about the same so that is an option, but the nano is more power efficient and gives you more versatility for the future if you ever sell it or want to move to a super compact ITX rig

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Pretty much all the fury cards perform about the same so that is an option, but the nano is more power efficient and gives you more versatility for the future if you ever sell it or want to move to a super compact ITX rig

I'm never going ITX, or at least with these parts. And if I'm getting a 5820K (Which I probably am), power efficiency doesnt matter. Anyway, I'm waiting for Polaris and Pascal for those parts. Should I also wait for Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E and decide then?

Spoiler

AXIOM

I'm never going ITX, or at least with these parts. And if I'm getting a 5820K (Which I probably am), power efficiency doesnt matter. Anyway, I'm waiting for Polaris and Pascal for those parts. Should I also wait for Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E and decide then?

Kaby lake isn't worth waiting for, be better off waiting for 1152 and Pci-e 4.0, assuming it's just another 5% CPU performance increase

broadwell is the same as skylake if I'm not mistaken, so 5% there, probably not worth waiting on unless you need the 10 core chips or whatever.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Kaby lake isn't worth waiting for, be better off waiting for 1152 and Pci-e 4.0, assuming it's just another 5% CPU performance increase

broadwell is the same as skylake if I'm not mistaken, so 5% there, probably not worth waiting on unless you need the 10 core chips or whatever.

Wont LGA1152 be in like 4 years? At that point I can just sell my 5820K and upgrade. All I'd need to upgrade then would be CPU and mobo and that would only be $800. I'll order the parts around easter than. I'll be able to account for the extra cost of X99

Spoiler

AXIOM

Wont LGA1152 be in like 4 years? At that point I can just sell my 5820K and upgrade. All I'd need to upgrade then would be CPU and mobo and that would only be $800. I'll order the parts around easter than. I'll be able to account for the extra cost of X99

Well ya, I really don't see 1151 as that great a platform yet, 1150 costs less so more performance per dollar, especially with the Xeon 1231v3, and the 6700K costs as much as the 5820K, so might as well get the 2 free cores there with a higher end motherboard and platform.

Course depending on how long you're waiting zen might be out and will probably be cheaper than intel's offerings and hopefully offers about the same performance.

Spoiler

I'm waiting for Pascal and Polaris. I think I'll just wait for Zen aswell

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well ya, I really don't see 1151 as that great a platform yet, 1150 costs less so more performance per dollar, especially with the Xeon 1231v3, and the 6700K costs as much as the 5820K, so might as well get the 2 free cores there with a higher end motherboard and platform.

Course depending on how long you're waiting zen might be out and will probably be cheaper than intel's offerings and hopefully offers about the same performance.

When are the coming out?

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

When are the coming out?

AM4 boards are coming in march apparently, but the zen architecture probably won't be out until the end of the year unless they find a way to speed up production

Spoiler