Motherboard detecting 2.5GHz CPU as 3.33GHz

Fortress
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,
1 minute ago, Fortress said:

Odd enough, I removed the CMOS battery again and replaced it, now it went down to 266MHz. Should I lower it to something around 200MHz? 

Yes

My old ASRock G31M-S motherboard from a PC that I recently discovered dusty on my cabinet detected my Pentium DC-E5200 (rated at 2.5GHz) as 3.33GHz, which is very odd since I never overclocked the CPU. Because of this both Windows and Ubuntu can't start. I have tried clearing the CMOS, but it's still detected as 3.33GHz on the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

4 minutes ago, Fortress said:

My old ASRock G31M-S motherboard from a PC that I recently discovered dusty on my cabinet detected my Pentium DC-E5200 (rated at 2.5GHz) as 3.33GHz, which is very odd since I never overclocked the CPU. Because of this both Windows and Ubuntu can't start. I have tried clearing the CMOS, but it's still detected as 3.33GHz on the BIOS. Any suggestions?

What is your FSB set to?

17 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

What is your FSB set to?

FSB is set to 800MHz, which is the rated FSB speed of the E5200 (according to http://ark.intel.com/products/37212/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5200-2M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

EDIT: 

The FSB is actually at 267MHz. I didn't notice it since I only followed the rated FSB on Intel's website.

Edited by Fortress
A correction.

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

3 minutes ago, Fortress said:

FSB is set to 800MHz, which is the FSB speed of the E5200 (according to http://ark.intel.com/products/37212/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5200-2M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

The actual FSB, it should be 200Mhz like this:

i3383_cpu-2505.png

To get 3.3Ghz your FSB is at like 264Mhz right now, which its no wonder why its unstable.

4 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

The actual FSB, it should be 200Mhz like this:

i3383_cpu-2505.png

To get 3.3Ghz your FSB is at like 264Mhz right now, which its no wonder why its unstable.

Odd enough, I removed the CMOS battery again and replaced it, now it went down to 266MHz. Should I lower it to something around 200MHz? 

6 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Yes

Thank you for your help! It's now working! I'm gonna mark this as solved.