Htpc build

braccianom

I am upgrading my gaming pc and I now have a evga 760, 16gb ddr3 ram and I didn't know what to do with it. So I figured I could build an htpc. I have the gigabyte 990fxa ud3 which an atx board. I don't know if that would fit in an htpc case because I've never built one. So I want to build one but use all those left over parts. I don't want to spend a crazy about as it would many be for movies and shows and a little bit of gaming but just at 1080 so nothing crazy.

9 minutes ago, braccianom said:

I am upgrading my gaming pc and I now have a evga 760, 16gb ddr3 ram and I didn't know what to do with it. So I figured I could build an htpc. I have the gigabyte 990fxa ud3 which an atx board. I don't know if that would fit in an htpc case because I've never built one. So I want to build one but use all those left over parts. I don't want to spend a crazy about as it would many be for movies and shows and a little bit of gaming but just at 1080 so nothing crazy.

all you need for a htpc is a dual core cpu...quad core for certain types

4gb of ram

a hdmi out

and a big hdd

and maybe a case that fits the htpc style

http://www.newegg.com/HTPC-Media-Center-Cases/SubCategory/ID-690

I like the silverstone htpc cases..but there a bit expensive

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

+1 on a Silverstone HTPC case, I have GD09B and it's well worth the money.  Room enough for most CPU coolers and with 3 120mm fan mounts you can use low RPM fans and still have good airflow.  I also have a Silverstone ML07B Mini-ITX case a IMO a ATX system  is much easier and cheaper to build because you can use standard components and they're also much easier to cool.

I actually have a question: Do ATX mobos actually fit in HTPC cases? Does seem a little bit odd, IMHO.

Just now, adithyay328 said:

I actually have a question: Do ATX mobos actually fit in HTPC cases? Does seem a little bit odd, IMHO.

depends on the size of the htpc case

alot do fit the atx

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

1 minute ago, techguru said:

depends on the size of the htpc case

alot do fit the atx

Thanks for your swift reply. It was a question on my mind.

My living room HTPC is actually a standard ATX Tower from Xigmatek.  Really, any case can be a 'HTPC' case if you just tuck it a bit ouf the way.  But that would depend on your howm entertainment setup.