pagefile! do i need it?

tourenious

hi mates :)

i recently upgraded to 32 gigs of ram because after effects eats it like no other program

everything is fine but now my page file keeps 32 gigs of my 120gg ssd and im completly out of ssd space

can i turn this file off and what will happend and do i need it and wht is it for

thx for the help

1 minute ago, tourenious said:

hi mates :)

i recently upgraded to 32 gigs of ram because after effects eats it like no other program

everything is fine but now my page file keeps 32 gigs of my 120gg ssd and im completly out of ssd space

can i turn this file off and what will happend and do i need it and wht is it for

thx for the help

Pagefile is like a overflow for when your RAM gets full. Don't delete it, its there to save you when you need it.

Some programs need it, so I recommend moving the page file to your desktop's HDD. That's what I've done in mine to prevent any issues caused by not having one (also, disable hibernate).

Edited by Dabombinable
-_-

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

SOme programs need it, so I recommend moving the page file to your desktop's HDD. That's what I've done in mine to prevent any issues caused by not having one (also, disable hibernate).

i have another ssd

how do i move it

can i find help online for this

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

Pagefile is like a overflow for when your RAM gets full. Don't delete it, its there to save you when you need it.

Yep it will save a program from crashing if more is needed. Is there another drive you could put it on?

1 minute ago, DumbTrollface said:

Yep it will save a program from crashing if more is needed. Is there another drive you could put it on?

yes another ssd

i didnk knew i can move it

i have another ssd

how do i move it

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

http://www.worldstart.com/move-your-windows-7-pagefile-to-a-new-location/

Second one has pictures, and don't worry about putting it on an SSD, if you do it will only cause more writes to it and reduce the life span.

PMSL

4 minutes ago, tourenious said:

i have another ssd

how do i move it

advanced system settings

performance

advanced

virtual memory

EDIT: fixed typos

Edited by DumbTrollface

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

http://www.worldstart.com/move-your-windows-7-pagefile-to-a-new-location/

Second one has pictures, and don't worry about putting it on an SSD, if you do it will only cause more writes to it and reduce the life span.

it is brand new with 5 year warranty

i bought it for temporary storage for media i work with currently so this wont be his biggest problem :D

4 minutes ago, tourenious said:

it is brand new with 5 year warranty

i bought it for temporary storage for media i work with currently so this wont be his biggest problem :D

Still, considering you won't be actively using the page file, just put it on the HDD and save yourself some space on the SSD.

PMSL

Still, considering you won't be actively using the page file, just put it on the HDD and save yourself some space on the SSD.

ok i will thx :D

Yup, all good comments so far :)

Another reason to keep it that no one has mentioned is that Windows allows programs to reserve more memory than they are actually "using" at any given time.  What this means is that, for example, if you disable your pagefile entirely and start opening up a lot of stuff, you will start getting "out of memory" errors as if your RAM was full well before you actually hit 100% (could be anything over 90% really - depends on the programs that are open) because the chart shows memory "used", but Windows has actually reserved all of it in the background and so you really are effectively out of memory.  With a pagefile enabled, this extra memory that is reserved but not actually used can be placed in the pagefile, allowing you to truly use 100% of your RAM.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

^ Plus, some software and games still use pagefile even when your RAM usage isn't anywhere near 100%.

I would also suggest keeping small, maybe 256mb pagefile on you OS drive. If you have failure or some other bug with other drives, booting will be horrible experience since Windows uses pagefile to load stuff while booting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

^ Plus, some software and games still use pagefile even when your RAM usage isn't anywhere near 100%.

I would also suggest keeping small, maybe 256mb pagefile on you OS drive. If you have failure or some other bug with other drives, booting will be horrible experience since Windows uses pagefile to load stuff while booting.

I'll keep that in mind.

PMSL

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

can i have some page file in C drive and the rest of it on other

You can set multiple page files, 1 per drive if you wanted to.

PMSL

You can set multiple page files, 1 per drive if you wanted to.

i will thx :D

Just now, tourenious said:

i will thx :D

Just remember, you don't really need them to be large. 1-2GB each at most, with SSD having 256-512MB page files if you decided to use them.

PMSL

51 minutes ago, tourenious said:

Sure thing. I have 256mb on SSD (just in case) and 8gigs on HDD. One thing I would also recommend. Set both min and max at same value. It usually doesn't matter to either way. Max is what it will reserve at most and min what is always reserved.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

hi mates [emoji4]

thx for the help

Yes, it's recommend that you keep page file on. The reason why page Pagefile becomes 32 GB is because that you've upgraded the ram to 32gb.