Questions about future build,

Inception9269

I've been discussing a future build every now and then for quite awhile now, and there were some things I was wanting to ask about.

The first thing is about the planned case and cooling I am extremely likely to go with. For case I decided on the MasterCase Pro 5 (was debating between it and the Evolv ATX for a good long while, but decided to go with the mastercase since the Evolv just looks too cramped and limited in possibilities, and I really like the customization with the mastercase). I had a question to those with experience with the mastercase, how well would a push/pull 280mm rad fit in there? Push/pull typically taking up a lot of space. I know the mastercase has that thing that you can remove at the top which you attach the rads to, from the videos and images i've seen that part you attach rads to looks to give you about an inch extra for clearance. I plan on getting the Nzxt Kraken x61 for the future build. I also have a lot of case fans lying around (built 3 pcs in the past) I have many of fractal's 140mm fans lying around, never been used, so decided i could add them in for a little better cooling performance (obviously plan on using splitters and/or lowering speed so they're not loud as shit).

Another thing I was curious on is the cpu. Intel is my brand of choice when it comes to pcs (although depending on how AMD's Zen performs, and it's price I might make a second rig with that). I was wondering what I should go with, Haswell-E with the I7-5820k, or a skylake build. Problem with that though is the best skylake has to offer currently, the 6700k, isn't much upgrade from a 4790k. (my current system is good, but i love building pcs, that being the main reason for doing a new build). also with skylake the 6700k is more expensive than the 5820k. Intel is coming out with successors to the 5820k-5960x though, with new 6-10 core cpus. Would it be better to wait for that instead of the 5820k? Also how well does a 5820k overclock compared to the 6700k and if that makes a big difference. My current cpu, 4790k, seems to have a limit of 4.5ghz, if i try for 4.6 it ends up freezing when i do a stress test.

Only other thing I'm waiting for when it comes to the future build is for the new Pascal cards from Nvidia to come out, when that does I'll probably pursue the 1080 over 980 ti (if they use the same naming pattern)

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I would wait for the CPU, my 6700k OC's to about 4.7 max, but crashes somewhat frequently while it's OCed

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

1 minute ago, verydogesuchwow said:

I would wait for the CPU, my 6700k OC's to about 4.7 max, but crashes somewhat frequently while it's OCed

I've heard stories about the 6700k, people talking about it crashing fairly easy, and the whole issue with over-tightening leading to bent cpus. Probably would be better to go with 5820k over 6700k maybe?

Also would you know how well a 5820k overclocks? I'd want to go to at least 4ghz, although i'd like to try to go as far as possible, at least to 4.5ghz

Yeah, for me, 4.00 ghz is ok for me, but I play things safe 98% of the time, so when possible I try to not OC, but that's just me.

Never had or seen a 5820k, so can't comment, but I predict it SHOULD be ok, not sure about getting it to 4.5ghz though, just my guess

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

whoops said "for me" twice

2 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

Yeah, for me, 4.00 ghz is ok for me, but I play things safe 98% of the time, so when possible I try to not OC, but that's just me.

Never had or seen a 5820k, so can't comment, but I predict it SHOULD be ok, not sure about getting it to 4.5ghz though, just my guess

yeah, 4.5ghz is probably a pipe dream, but at least 4.2ghz, just something a little extra

Just now, Inception9269 said:

yeah, 4.5ghz is probably a pipe dream, but at least 4.2ghz, just something a little extra

Yeah, pretty sure you could get it to 4.2ghz, but not much more