Risks of GPU OC??

So, the question is in the title. I wanna oc my MSI GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk which I should order next week. Good or bad idea? Did any of You oc such an enthusiast - grade gpu before and did anything happen? Any risks? Amything else you wanna add, feel free.

Um, not terrible to do, not great either

Your GPU is really good right now, no NEED to oc, but go ahead if you want, just don't waaaay over-do it

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

As someone who is still puttering along with a GTX 750 and a GTX 760, I would have to ask why you would want to overclock such a powerful card in the first place... But to each his own I guess.

You've got the standard risks with overclocking but I don't really see any reason why you couldn't overclock it right out of the box.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

may void warranty, a small chanse of it straigt up breaking if you screw up like REALLY bad, may happed to be exreamly fun, may give you better preformance and higher power draw. also why would anyone get that card and not atleast try to do some OCing :P it can be quite fun to play around with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

As someone who is still puttering along with a GTX 750 and a GTX 760, I would have to ask why you would want to overclock such a powerful card in the first place... But to each his own I guess.

You've got the standard risks with overclocking but I don't really see any reason why you couldn't overclock it right out of the box.

because fun :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

may void warranty, a small chanse of it straigt up breaking if you screw up like REALLY bad, may happed to be exreamly fun, may give you better preformance and higher power draw. also why would anyone get that card and not atleast try to do some OCing :P it can be quite fun to play around with it

If you stay on stock BIOS It is virtually impossible to brick it.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

If you stay on stock BIOS It is virtually impossible to brick it.

well if you put up the voltage to something like +3V then you have probably messed up the card lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well if you put up the voltage to something like +3V then you have probably messed up the card lol

Too bad you cant on the stock BIOS...

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

yah lol

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yeah, well that "fun" MIGHT just burn the $700 I spent. Yay. Having fun yet? xD

10 minutes ago, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

So, the question is in the title. I wanna oc my MSI GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk which I should order next week. Good or bad idea? Did any of You oc such an enthusiast - grade gpu before and did anything happen? Any risks? Amything else you wanna add, feel free.

It´s neither a good nor bad idea as it can change depending on what you do. Wanna oc it by like 100mhz or so just to squeeze a tiny bit more performance outta the card? Seems fine to me, 100 mhz isn´t a big oc at all. Wanna set it to something stupid like 2000mhz? Yeah, that´s a stupid idea.

yah lol

Want to show me a slider that lets you? I am gonna need some serious proof, considering how fine it was when I ran my 560 Ti at 1.212V From 1015, with a modded BIOS.

Just now, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

Yeah, well that "fun" MIGHT just burn the $700 I spent. Yay. Having fun yet? xD

there is almost no way to brick a card, like really brick it. its mostly harmless and if the card cant handle it then just dial it back :) only thing it will cost is a couple of hours of yor time, but really not as bad as with CPU overclocking which takes like days to make sure its OK lol

Builds:

Spoiler

If you get an unstable OC and use it it could cause fragmenting and/or permanent damage. (correct me if i'm wrong)

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

If you get an unstable OC and use it it could cause fragmenting and/or permanent damage. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Unless you are actually pushing past what NVIDIA Normally lets you you are fine.

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Want to show me a slider that lets you? I am gonna need some serious proof, considering how fine it was when I ran my 560 Ti at 1.212V From 1015, with a modded BIOS.

cant show you one, it was kinda an over exaduration :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

cant show you one, it was kinda an over exaduration :P 

And most cards wont allow more than +200mV

" Nvidia has a cap on it to prevent their hardware from prematurely failing so they auto limit the voltage at times even if you crank it up. The most I ever get is 1.225V  " - Quoted from W-L.

11 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

I see you "brutally murdered a i5 4690K.. let me guess.. OC?

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

Just now, verydogesuchwow said:

I purposely killed it due to it being a shit overclocker, 1.6V for 4.9 In XTU With chilled water, selling the RMA Chip right now.

If you are curious about the chip, I killed it with 1.9V Through the cache, literally popped a capacitor.

18 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

And what are "the standard risks of overclocking"?

Potential instability, voided warranty and extra heat.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

13 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is almost no way to brick a card, like really brick it. its mostly harmless and if the card cant handle it then just dial it back :) only thing it will cost is a couple of hours of yor time, but really not as bad as with CPU overclocking which takes like days to make sure its OK lol

sorry for being a "noob", but what does it mean to "brick a card"?

19 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

To make it as useless as a brick, AKA Kill it.

19 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Potential instability, voided warranty and extra heat.

19 hours ago, verydogesuchwow said:

19 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Also, my friends told me that if you oc a card, the faster you oc it, the longer "response time" it has. I think they meant as if I oc a card to around 1400 Mhz on the core, it will take longer time for my oc'd card to send a signal to my monitor (it will be slower), and my non-oc'd card will take shorter time to send a signal to my monitor. Is that true?!?!

Just now, MarkoCroatiaMC said:

Also, my friends told me that if you oc a card, the faster you oc it, the longer "response time" it has. I think they meant as if I oc a card to around 1400 Mhz on the core, it will take longer time for my oc'd card to send a signal to my monitor (it will be slower), and my non-oc'd card will take shorter time to send a signal to my monitor. Is that true?!?!

No. Not at all.