Blackout PC planning

Silverfields

Not much to say. I'm going for an all black PC, that will be used for gaming, video editing/rendering, and recording. The maximum amount I'm spending will be 3 thousand dollars(US), including the monitor. I'm going windows 8.1 due to the privicy issues of windows 10. I've also heard that windows 10 has a fair amount of bugs, so I don't want to deal with that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q6nJYJ

Thanks in advance for any advice!

6 minutes ago, NLR said:

Not much to say. I'm going for an all black PC, that will be used for gaming, video editing/rendering, and recordi

Suppose it's fine, maybe check out the venturi fans from Fractal

otherwise You'd save $300 on the display if you went with free-sync, and then the Nano would be the AMD card to get right now

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xf270hu

Also depending on what settings you're after a single 980ti won't be able to do that high of a frame rate for 1440p, with the money saved going free-sync you could probably fit in a 2nd nano card and push enough frames to saturate the display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

looks good to  me... but a single 980ti is going to struggle pulling 90+ fps on 1440p ... i would say 90+ is very smooth on  a high refresh rate monitor

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The thing is, I don't plan to run my games at max settings anyways. I'm used to a 2009 iMac playing games in 840-400 resolution, so this PC will completely annihilate anything I'm used to.
I'll look into the Fury Nano and see how it compares to the 980Ti

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

looks good to  me... but a single 980ti is going to struggle pulling 90+ fps on 1440p ... i would say 90+ is very smooth on  a high refresh rate monitor

Like I said above, 90 FPS on MAX settings would be perfectly fine for me, as I'm used to 60 on minimum settings at 840-400. I'll most likely play games at none-max settings, as I won't see that much of a difference.

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

@NLRThat's some pretty good advice:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($211.06 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($205.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($151.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($499.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($19.07 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($579.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2940.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:15 EST-0500

Grab windows elsewhere, G2A normally have it for around $40

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, NLR said:

The thing is, I don't plan to run my games at max settings anyways. I'm used to a 2009 iMac playing games in 840-400 resolution, so this PC will completely annihilate anything I'm used to.
I'll look into the Fury Nano and see how it compares to the 980Ti

Like I said above, 90 FPS on MAX settings would be perfectly fine for me, as I'm used to 60 on minimum settings at 840-400. I'll most likely play games at none-max settings, as I won't see that much of a difference.

but it wont get 90fps on max settings thats my point

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

6 minutes ago, NLR said:

The thing is, I don't plan to run my games at max settings anyways. I'm used to a 2009 iMac playing games in

Well, then like why spend all the extra on the display/GPU if you aren't worried about max frame rates or settings

also why not invest in a 4k display? It has more than double the pixel count of 1440p, and you'd basically never need a display again here's one that's 27" 4k IPS and free-sync for around $500
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27mc67b

The nano isn't going to be as fast as the 980ti especially with an OC on the 980ti, but I wouldn't say it's worth it when you factor in the extra cost from the display

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrMYnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrMYnQ/by_merchant/

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($534.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1084.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:19 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NLR said:

Ah, my bad, I must have misread what you said.

Also remember for the same price you are getting the same screen (the one I linked is that screen minus the g-sync module) with 2x Nano's which will kick a 980ti around the park:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Nano_CrossFire/

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Well, then like why spend all the extra on the display/GPU if you aren't worried about max frame rates

also why not invest in a 4k display? It has more than double the pixel count of 1440p, and you'd basically never need a display again here's one that's 27" 4k IPS and free-sync for around $500
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27mc67b

The nano isn't going to be as fast as the 980ti especially with an OC on the 980ti, but I wouldn't say it's worth it when you factor in the extra cost from the display

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrMYnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrMYnQ/by_merchant/

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  ($534.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1084.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-03 13:19 EST-0500

Look like I need to do a lot more research xD. I just got schooled, hard.

I wasn't going to go 4k because I want to be able to record game-play for my YT channel. I didn't want to go 1080p as that seems far to low, so I decided that 1440p with a 980ti should be good enough. I'm a complete noob in this regard, so any advice would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, NLR said:

Look like I need to do a lot more research xD. I just got schooled, hard.

Well the 4k display is probably "future proof" so to speak, and you can just run games at like 1080p on it and be set, also there's a lot of GPU accelerated recording now, AMD has Raptr, and you can do it with DXtory/OBS as well which is probably the best option for recording.

and then for editing/other stuff you have basically 4 1080p displays for workspace, although 27" is a bit small, you'd want maybe 32" or larger, is just that, that display has free-sync as well for gaming. It's not like you have to run games at 4k

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Well the 4k display is probably "future proof" so to speak, and you can just run games at like 1080p on it and be set, also there's a lot of GPU accelerated recording now, AMD has Raptr, and you can do it with DXtory/OBS as well which is probably the best option for recording.

and then for editing/other stuff you have basically 4 1080p displays for workspace, although 27" is a bit small, you'd want maybe 32" or larger, is just that, that display has free-sync as well for gaming. It's not like you have to run games at 4k

All valid points. It would appear that I have a lot more research to do than I thought.

So, to recap, getting two Fury Nano's in crossfire with a 4k free-sync display would be my best option, do I have that right?

4 minutes ago, NLR said:

All valid points. It would appear that I have a lot more research to do than I thought.

So, to recap, getting two Fury Nano's in crossfire with a 4k free-sync display would be my best option, do I have that right?

It's a pretty good option, you'd be able to actually play games at 4k with the nanos, in games where dual GPUs work naturally

if you give up free-sync you could go for this Korean Display, 32" 4k aparently $400, but I don't think the display in the description is correct as an IPS is never going to have a 1ms response time, gotta look into the forum thread link

Or get a really PC, and get 3 40" 4k displays

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

It's a pretty good option, you'd be able to actually play games at 4k with the nanos, in games where dual GPUs work naturally

if you give up free-sync you could go for this Korean Display, 32" 4k aparently $400, but I don't think the display in the description is correct as an IPS is never going to have a 1ms response time, gotta look into the forum thread link

I'm seen these displays before, I've heard a lot of bad stories about them. They may be cheap, but from what I've heard, you get what you pay for with these in particular. That, and shipping them back if I got a bad one would be a massive pain, so I'm not all to willing to risk it.

I'd stay away from dual Nanos considering how crappy dual Fury X seems to perform. You have the budget for dual 980 Ti, so go for that if you want a dual gpu setup.

EDIT: Oops, nm, because of my settings on pcpartpicker your monitor's price wasn't showing up and I thought you had $700 left in your budget because of that.