Building a webstore - what exactly do I need.

Elapo
Just now, Gachr said:

That will be very interesting... Please give me the source code.

Also, there are many more things you can't do without JS, like changing elements outside of the one with interaction.

I'm at an appointment now so I can't get the source code, but Google "CSS only tabs" and you'll find different ways to do it.

Again, JS is not required but is helpful and worth learning. I personally don't use it though in my web development.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I'm at an appointment now so I can't get the source code, but Google "CSS only tabs" and you'll find different ways to do it.

Again, JS is not required but is helpful and worth learning. I personally don't use it though in my web development.

Yup, found it: https://css-tricks.com/examples/CSSTabs/#box-fifteen

It does require the page to refresh and the experience is just dreadful.

You must be a terrible webdev then.

JS tabs for comparison: http://demos.inspirationalpixels.com/Tabs-with-HTML-CSS-&-jQuery/

3 minutes ago, Gachr said:

No page update required here. I guess we'll agree to disagree and I'll keep my clients happy while my bank account stays happy. :)

EDIT: And I apologize if I offended you, it wasn't my intention to make you upset. I just wanted to let the OP know he didn't need JS to make a good app.

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, Gachr said:

JS tabs for comparison: http://demos.inspirationalpixels.com/Tabs-with-HTML-CSS-&-jQuery/

The CSS only one you linked works without refreshing the page.

Either way Javascript and jQuery are not an absolute requirement when building a website and saying someone is a terrible developer because they don't use JS without knowing what sort of work they do or anything else about them is just outright rude

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

No page update required here. I guess we'll agree to disagree and I'll keep my clients happy while my bank account stays happy. :)

EDIT: And I apologize if I offended you, it wasn't my intention to make you upset. I just wanted to let the OP know he didn't need JS to make a good app.

Nah, you didn't offend me, I just don't like a spread of misinformation.

36 minutes ago, Gachr said:

Then why are you saying that JS is required when you've already proven it's not? Your example of how JS is required can be done with pure CSS as you already showed us (even though tabs are not required to sell things online).

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, Gachr said:

CSS only tabs:

http://codepen.io/mildrenben/pen/bdGdOb

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 hour ago, Gachr said:

You are the one spreading it!

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Then why are you saying that JS is required when you've already proven it's not? Your example of how JS is required can be done with pure CSS as you already showed us (even though tabs are not required to sell things online).

The example I provided was done very poorly, that was the 1st one I encountered. This was just a super simple example... Tabs are super simple, at least in JS, which I talk about later.

2 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

That code was written in SASS, which I'm not very familiar with. It generally simplifies CSS. It might provide extra JS-like functionality, but I'm not sure about that. A lot of code was needed to create those tabs, which I wasn't able to test outside codepen.

Let's just wait for OP's reply, since this is a bit too much. I still hope he learns JS ^^

On 03/02/2016 at 2:05 PM, alex_read said:
Spoiler

#1 have you got everything you need.

Yes, that's pretty much the gist of it if you're familiar already with we servers and hosting webpages on/from a server.

As MadKnight mentions, the core architecture is the most current trend within ASP.Net area and MVC separation is very widely adopted in web development projects. Learning and implementing these 2 will take you longer to write your site and might be a little confusing, but would serve you well for future projects & furthering your knowledge.

#2 is mySQL compatible.

Yes again. It's perfectly fine. In ASP.Net, you alter an XML-based file named "web.config" to add details of how your website can communicate with your mySQL instance. This is done through a <connectionstrings> element & you specify all the connectivity details - usually server addresses, ports, usernames, passwords etc. in there. For samples and a little more detail on this, you might find connectionstrings.com/mySQL useful.

Many projects like this use some form of Object Relationship/Relational Mapping (ORM). Basically a set of code classes which expose the database tables as objects callable in code (so you can write things like myTable1.myColumn1 = "someDataHere" etc.) & make your life a little easier. You might want to look at the Microsoft Entity Framework as this might be useful to you.

#3. where to start.

In your situation I'd be tempted to sugguest searching online for (i) ASP.Net core and MVC beginner tutorial and (ii) ASP.Net and ADO.Net and web.config tutorials. This would get you familiar with the basics of the architecture and get you a basic, working sample of reading and writing a single value into a single database table with which to build off. Your HTML could just render with basic text only at this stage.

One next area could then be to look at the most wanted "use case scenarios" - the main purposes and end user workflows through the website ... basically the requirements & write those down. Once you have them, you could then work on writing tests, the styling and frontend design, database design and the coding logic together to fulfil these requirements.

Depending on your level & interest of the frontend design, you might want to take a look at bootstrap or see if there are any sample project templates online to help. These aren't items I've personally looked at too deeply but they might get you up & running with a styled, rich webshop quickly. Javascript will be extremely useful for you to learn if you're looking into any form of web development.

Thanks a lot for the information! 

2 hours ago, Gachr said:

The example I provided was done very poorly, that was the 1st one I encountered. This was just a super simple example... Tabs are super simple, at least in JS, which I talk about later.

That code was written in SASS, which I'm not very familiar with. It generally simplifies CSS. It might provide extra JS-like functionality, but I'm not sure about that. A lot of code was needed to create those tabs, which I wasn't able to test outside codepen.

Let's just wait for OP's reply, since this is a bit too much. I still hope he learns JS ^^

Don't worry, I will certainly take a good look at JS. I've made a thing similar to those tabs before, but someone helped me with the JS back then. Should be a good example though.

I waited with posting a reply because the discussion was still ongoing, it's very interesting indeed to see what different options there are for front-end web development!

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Cor, that heated up & escalated quickly!

Before this thread closes, I want to clear a few things up. My background is as a web programmer way before even .net came out & traditional ASP & Interdev tools were popular. Back then (i) writing 1 piece of code to work on IE, a completely separate code to work on Netscape etc. was a thing, took ages & was annoying to test (ii) the disabling of JavaScript by network admins was a more realistic, likely scenario to consider and (iii) it wasn't uncommon to see inline styling applied to the HTML tags themselves.

I'm not that old yet, but I'm sounding like a dinosaur on purpose...

1. CSS has come a long way & with its support for mouse rollovers, div hiding etc. it is possible to write some pretty advanced code now. The tab option could be done in pure css but would suit pages with small content and/or few images. Page loading times can still be a concern & the less you shoot to the client's browser from your web server the better.

2. Anyone serious about web development should look at learning JavaScript. Its support has grown faster than any other language (at least that I've personally worked with). There have been multiple languages written on top of it which "transcompile" to JavaScript, many entire frameworks spawned and supported to sit on top of it & enhance it, all web servers and web development IDEs (that I know of) have support for it and there are several backend server side developments of the language (so it's not just on a user's browser or a client side language anymore). Even if you're interested in the backend code, the database and the ASP.Net language side more & have dreams to working in a massive company that has graphic designers purely writing and styling the webpages themselves, going to any web-related interview nowadays would result most likely in you not getting a job if your skillset had full knowledge of all other tech/languages/markup languages etc. but didn't have Javascript knowledge.

In a nutshell, webpages can be written without CSS, they can be written without Javascript also. If you're having fun playing and learning at home & this is the only web project you're ever going to try just to see what it's like, then hey no problem - have fun with it, ask when you get stuck & good luck with whatever other career you did want. If you want to look at web development even being a possible option in future to help friends or family with, get a job in etc., you should learn both. They're that important.

• 2 weeks later...