Hypothetical Optiplex SX280/775 Re-Build

GigaSnow

I was doing a little bit of cleaning in my parent's basement when I came across a Dell Optiplex 280SX. I always liked how slim these cases were, and it got me to visualize building inside of it. This build is more or less a thought experiment, but if you guys think I can fit this hardware (list below) into this case, I may actually purchase the parts and make it a weekend project. The use for it would be an HTPC/surfing rig. Won't be doing any gaming here.

wjnerLh36oHAIeBt

Here is the PCPartPicker list for what I came up with. Nothing is absolute, I know I could save a few bucks here and there, so feel free to change as you see fit. Also, if there are any smaller options (actual size wise) for power supplies, I'd be more than interested. Only requirement is that the MoBo has to have HDMI out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GigaSnow/saved/#view=jvjdnQ

EDIT TO ADD:

I did a revise for a cheaper option. I know I could make it cheaper yet by cutting out the SSD, going with a cheaper fan, a dual core CPU, and a smaller HDD.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GigaSnow/saved/#view=fkJcCJ

Here are a few problems I already am noticing:

1. Rear panel

-Rear panel would have to be custom made to allow room for rear I/O and PSU, and have room for the side panel release mechanism. I can't imagine this would be that hard to accomplish

2. Air flow

- I can't imagine this thing putting out a ton of heat, but airflow is going to be affected. I can fit a fan up front, but that's about it. I'm thinking about cutting a vent hole above the CPU fan.

3. Optical Drive.

-The 280sx and 775 sport a slim dvd drive on the front of the case. Removing the drive would allow me an extra 3/4ths inch of clearance, but would leave an ugly hole on the front of the case that I would either have to casually cover, or leave empty. I could also get a slim Blu-Ray drive and rig it up, but that would cost a ton of money.

4. Front USB/Audio/Mic jacks

-These are soldered directly onto the board, so they would have to be removed. I haven't researched how to make my own to fill the spaces.

5. SSD/HDD mounts

-Would have to customize these as well. Not a big problem, but it's worth mentioning.

It looks like you'll have to do some heavy modding. but it looks like a fun project. just chooch ahead mate! :)

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

It looks like you'll have to do some heavy modding. but it looks like a fun project. just chooch ahead mate! :)

Yeah, would need some definite modding, but I think the end result would be worth the effort. :)

Holy shit that's a large CPU.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

20 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Holy shit that's a large CPU.

Huh?

The chip in the pic is the same size as just about every chip out there...