Was wondering if I'm having an issue with Case airflow or GPU issues?

HappyGamer
Go to solution Solved by HappyGamer,

Make sure you GPU and all fans are clean and dust free, add more intake and/or let them spin faster to bring in more air.

Give them as much outside air as possible.

Yup, going to take your advice and add 2 more intake fans (both 140mm).  Is it a good idea to run 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust?  The 3 intake fans would be the stock 120mm that came with the case and two 140mm fans.  For exhaust, I'd be using another stock 120mm.  Maybe I should run the 2 stock 120mm along with one 140mm for intake fans and use one of my 140mm for an exhaust fan?

Thanks for the reply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $945.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 17:52 EST-0500

Hi, I'm running a MSI R9 390 in a Fractal Design S case (with 2 stock 120mm fans, one in the back and one in the front) and was wondering if I can get suggestions on what may be the cause of abnormally hot temperatures? I've been playing Total War Shogun 2 (TWS 2) and at default GPU settings my MSI 390 gets up to mid 80°C. I have asked others that have MSI 390s and run TWS 2 at similar settings and the highest temperature reading I've heard is around the low to mid 70°C.

Do you guys think it may be an issue of my case airflow or maybe an issue with the stock thermal paste? I'm open to all ideas!

Thanks!

Your temps are fine. Unless you're testing in the same case and room, it's not strange temps will be different. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is your room temp over 25C? That will explain lot. Also, adding 1-2 more intake fans will help to drop some 5-10C from GPU. Third thing is to check that GPU fans are working at full speed or with custom curve.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Make sure you GPU and all fans are clean and dust free, add more intake and/or let them spin faster to bring in more air.

Is your room temp over 25C? That will explain lot. Also, adding 1-2 more intake fans will help to drop some 5-10C from GPU. Third thing is to check that GPU fans are working at full speed or with custom curve.

I think my room temp should be something like 22C (heat is set to 22C, so maybe it's a little lower).  I happen to have two 140mm fans that are laying around unused, so I'll take your advice and add them as intake fans.  The GPU fans usually hover around 70-75% to maintain the mid 80s.  Is it okay to have the GPU fans running so hard for so long (multiple hours daily)?  Would it have a noticeable effect on longevity?

Thanks for the reply.

I think my room temp should be something like 22C (heat is set to 22C, so maybe it's a little lower).  I happen to have two 140mm fans that are laying around unused, so I'll take your advice and add them as intake fans.  The GPU fans usually hover around 70-75% to maintain the mid 80s.  Is it okay to have the GPU fans running so hard for so long (multiple hours daily)?  Would it have a noticeable effect on longevity?

Thanks for the reply.

Longevity as in you'll notice it after 5+ years, yes maybe. Every mechanical components ages. Usually people buy new hardware faster than they get to see the actual problematic years of use.

Sipmly no. You can run GPU fans as fast as you like the noise they make. But you should see some drop in temps just adding few intakes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yup, going to take your advice and add 2 more intake fans (both 140mm).  Is it a good idea to run 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust?  The 3 intake fans would be the stock 120mm that came with the case and two 140mm fans.  For exhaust, I'd be using another stock 120mm.  Maybe I should run the 2 stock 120mm along with one 140mm for intake fans and use one of my 140mm for an exhaust fan?

Thanks for the reply.

Longevity as in you'll notice it after 5+ years, yes maybe. Every mechanical components ages. Usually people buy new hardware faster than they get to see the actual problematic years of use.

Sipmly no. You can run GPU fans as fast as you like the noise they make. But you should see some drop in temps just adding few intakes.

Sounds good.  Thank you very much!  BTW, unrelated but I'm envious you live in beautiful Finland.  Cheers.

Yup, going to take your advice and add 2 more intake fans (both 140mm). Is it a good idea to run 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust? The 3 intake fans would be the stock 120mm that came with the case and two 140mm fans. For exhaust, I'd be using another stock 120mm. Maybe I should run the 2 stock 120mm along with one 140mm for intake fans and use one of my 140mm for an exhaust fan?

Thanks for the reply.

As long as you keep a positive pressure (more air in then out) it will work more efficiently. The good thing about more fans is you can reduce the speeds of them, giving less noise.

As long as you keep a positive pressure (more air in then out) it will work more efficiently. The good thing about more fans is you can reduce the speeds of them, giving less noise.

Negative pressure gives better cooling performance, positive less dust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv