ASUS VIII Hero Onboard Audio & Logitech

iWearKiltz

Hi guys,

So my current set-up is just the on-board audio. Which from my knowledge is actually pretty good. Obviously not as good as a dedicated £300 sound card, but then again they're not connected to studio monitors. They're connected to my Logitech G430 and Bose Companion 2 series III desktop speakers. 

At the moment the Bose speakers are connected to the on-board sound and the G430 are connected to USB dongle that was provided. Now I know quite a lot about electronics, in fact I'm studying Electronic and Communications Engineering MEng at University. So if there is a 'know it all' reading this, throw me what ya got in your noggin, chances are I'll understand more then someone else.

So iWearKiltz, what is the damned question?!

Well there is two kind of.

1. The way things are connected, is that best?
  2. Is there an easier way to switch between headphone audio and speaker audio, other than going through the sound options?

Now to note, I have a Logitech macro keyboard, so if there is some macro I could assign to switch audio that would also work. I also have the sound suite that came with the motherboard, although haven't got much experience in playing around with it which is why I'm asking here. I did have a soundblaster in my last PC, and that had a handy software button (until they updated it and made it harder... like who programs something to be harder.. ?!?!?)

cool? cool.

Please, If you do know anything, any comment is appreciated. Cheer's in advance!

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Bump

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

I'm not sure what the dongle does for your headset (maybe the 7.1 decoder/encoder stuff?) but you could get an external switch that runs from your 3.5mm out from the mobo to the switch. Then plug your speakers and headset to that. Not necessarily this one, but something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C

*For some reason that link sometimes works, but mostly doesn't?

I'm not sure what the dongle does for your headset (maybe the 7.1 decoder/encoder stuff?) but you could get an external switch that runs from your 3.5mm out from the mobo to the switch. Then plug your speakers and headset to that. Not necessarily this one, but something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C

*For some reason that link sometimes works, but mostly doesn't?

Yeah strangely that link didnt seem to work lol

it's also not in the british amazon so i couldn't find that particular one

however, I did access it on the american amazon so I could see what it was.

This is quite a good idea, however this produces more clutter on my desk which I wanted to avoid.

And yeah I imagine the USB Dongle does something similar to that - both the headphone and microphone plug in. It could just be a usb dongle so that you can connect it to USB. (but on a side note, you can do a firmware update to the headset when it's plugged in like this, using the logitech gaming software)

Spoiler