RMA GPU?

anthonyc813

Still having random reboot issues after 3 weeks... narrowed it down to

1- CPU*

2- Mother board

3- a SSD*

4- new GPU*

Highly unlikely after reading symptoms of a failing CPU but I did do a shit job applying thermal paste for a day and it red lined above 80* for a hour

Mother board=... ugh. its  RMA because of bad USB ports to begin with. ASUS said they are sending a new* board this week after some paper work then I send in my current board. I am praying for brand spanking new with box, disc, new SATA cables, and a ROG case badge!

SATA cable could be a issue... I tried several and same results.

I got OCZ SSD Guru software and did a scan. its working fine.

Now the new 576.00 GPU and I cashed in the free game... after reading reviews on NewEgg, some other had same problems-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121975&cm_re=strix_fury-_-14-121-975-_-Product

Some others had random reboots during gaming in Ausust/September. Possibly I have a card from that batch?

I did what someone said about 16.2 Crimson drivers and pulled the ethernet cable plug-

https://community.amd.com/thread/194942

IT WORKED FINALLY!!! So now my AMD Drivers are up to date! Never went above 2% when I tried and tried and removed and tried again. Now Raptr says everything is good with drivers.

My PC mainly reboots when playing WoW... I have been on Dragons Dogma all day Sunday and no reboot... so I am on the fence about the RMA with the GPU... I'll get a new one but be without a PC for like 2 weeks and might have to go outside or read a book or some shit.

Could it be a graphic driver issue all along? A bad GPU? I have 8 days to decide or card will be past 30 day return rule.

Previous troubleshooting-

replaced PSU

replaced RAM

re-sat RAM

turned down RAM speeds

removed all OC's to CPU and GPU

purchased a 360mm AIO cooler for CPU

Clean install of Win7 and 10

did a ASUS BIOS Flashback properly

removed and returned Razer Firefly mousepad..

considered buying a PS4 and throwing this PC in the snow

I had the same issue, while playing any type of games (even at lowest settings), my R9 280x would just turn off my computer. Though it recently started doing this, so RMA is in progress. 

Open a game and watch the temperature of the GPU, when I watched mine it would instantly shoot up to 100 degrees Celsius and shut off. If you cannot return your card, re apply its thermal paste.

I had the same issue, while playing any type of games (even at lowest settings), my R9 280x would just turn off my computer. Though it recently started doing this, so RMA is in progress. 

Open a game and watch the temperature of the GPU, when I watched mine it would instantly shoot up to 100 degrees Celsius and shut off. If you cannot return your card, re apply its thermal paste.

interesting.. but a 280X? this card is brand new almost.. I have GPU TeakII open and staring at the temps now.

Did your PC just shut off or reboot?

weird thing with mine is every reboot and when desktop is present the mouse icon is gone for abotu a minute or more. sometimes its there and does not move for same length of time... so thats why I assumed it was a failing mother board and USB port..

when it reboots during a WoW raid, my Skada (damage meters) show data from like a week ago and nothing from that night at all. every boss pull is just got.. but I can see what I did 10 days ago. weird.

interesting.. but a 280X? this card is brand new almost.. I have GPU TeakII open and staring at the temps now.

Did your PC just shut off or reboot?

weird thing with mine is every reboot and when desktop is present the mouse icon is gone for abotu a minute or more. sometimes its there and does not move for same length of time... so thats why I assumed it was a failing mother board and USB port..

when it reboots during a WoW raid, my Skada (damage meters) show data from like a week ago and nothing from that night at all. every boss pull is just got.. but I can see what I did 10 days ago. weird.

That is very strange and mine did have other side effects like that too. (mine would reboot and shut down sometimes). 

Honestly maybe something went wrong while building the computer, so in my opinion. Take apart your PC and rebuild it, clean it and stuff. 

If that fails then troubleshoot again.

Edit: AMD really favors customers that buy high end products of theirs. You may actually be able to contact them directly and they will help you, I have dealt with the CS of AMD before and it's pretty amazing, great people.

That is very strange and mine did have other side effects like that too. (mine would reboot and shut down sometimes). 

Honestly maybe something went wrong while building the computer, so in my opinion. Take apart your PC and rebuild it, clean it and stuff. 

If that fails then troubleshoot again.

Edit: AMD really favors customers that buy high end products of theirs. You may actually be able to contact them directly and they will help you, I have dealt with the CS of AMD before and it's pretty amazing, great people.

i took apart and rebuilt 3 times already.. when new board comes, it will be the 4th... when I called ASUS today about the card they said call newegg since its less then 30 days

Still having random reboot issues after 3 weeks... narrowed it down to

1- CPU*

its cause its amd ya dummy!!!  :D

jk i would try rma though cause worst case is u get a newer one  :D

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

my CPU is a i7 4790k....

lol I didn't mean cpu I doubt it would ever be that, I meant the gpu :D

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

lol I didn't mean cpu I doubt it would ever be that, I meant the gpu :D

lulz. ty Mr Trump. See you at the voting booth. I wont even close the curtain when I pull the lever!

Yes, I know its a AMD card. Yes I went against popular advice and chose what looks cool.. I have a AMD FreeSync 1440p monitor and wanted to utilize it finally

i noticed the fan profile was set to 30. honestly I never heard the fans spin before... set it to 50 and those fuckers are LOUD. did a 4 hour session last night and checked GPU temps ever 15 min or so. never got a blue screen so might not be GPU overheating