For my first PC should I buy or build?

So I've been looking at PC build videos on youtube and have been thinking about getting one, but I don't know whether or not to buy one or build one. I don't know what id get for a setup if i built one, if i bought one I've been looking at the Digital Storm bolt 3. I don't know what my budget is at this moment. P.s this is my first PC.

Build.

More bang for your buck. There are tons of tutorials online and it's relatively easy once you know what you're doing.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I'd build it. it's an experience in itself. and you learn a lot more by doing it than not.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

All of us built our first at some point.  It is much easier now then when I built my first.  All I used was the motherboard's manual as I put the pieces together on my first build.  Just be careful, like in all things, and you will be fine.

You save roughly 10%-15% (sometimes more) by building it yourself.  That money goes back into the PC or you save it.

All warranties are covered by the manufacturers.  Pre-built warranties are usually garbage.  Every minute they spend trying to solve a problem is money out of their pocket, so a lot of the time they rush things.  Imagine having to ship the entire PC if a stick or RAM fails, and probably paying for it;  AND the problem not getting fixed as they try to gouge you for more money to make up for any time spent with your PC.  

Any little problem you fix, you get smarter. As you get smarter, using/changing/fixing the PC gets easier.

build if you can.  You get a better bang for you buck, better component options (you get to choose everything) and you have tuning and upgrade options not easily available on pre-builts.  If you feel comfortable building your own system, go for it!  If this is you first system though I recommend getting an old "throw away" PC for cheap / free, taking it apart, and rebuilding it to gain familiarity with proper hardware handling and components

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Do you guys know of a good setup then for a first setup. Btw thanks for the feedback

if you know what your doing, building should be fine. As long as you don't kill any of your parts (without using an antistatic band) you can not use one, but you run the risk of damaging the hardware.

Do you guys know of a good setup then for a first setup. Btw thanks for the feedback

questions before you plan a build:

How much money do you have?

What is the PC for?  Gaming, Editing, Dev work?

Where do you live?

Do you have a Microcenter near by?

pcpartpicker.com really helps sort out compatibility issue  along with having price compare and purchase location suggestion tools

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

1.  What country do you live in?

2.  How much are you spending?

3.  What are you using the PC for?

4.  Do you need a monitor?

5.  Do you need Windows?

6.  Do you need a keyboard and mouse?

7.  Do you need speakers/headset?

I have never used an anti-static wrist band.  Absolutely not needed.

I live in New Zealand, I'm thinking about spending $1100-$1300, I'm gonna use the pc for gaming, i need a monitor, don't know about windows, need a keyboard and mouse and no speakers and a headset. I know the header i want though.

I am going to sleep, but here:

Decent little gaming PC, as cheap as possible(using good quality parts).  It will run any game at decent settings.  No OS, monitor or peripherals:

$664:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($188.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.98 @ Directron)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($3.98 @ OutletPC)  <<Front Intake
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($3.98 @ OutletPC)  <<Front Intake
Total: $663.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 03:42 EST-0500

Thanks man really appreciate it :)

Holy crap these prices.  You might look into importing...anyways, save up monies =P

$1681:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)

Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($128.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($102.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($88.60 @ Aquila Technology)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card  ($379.95 @ Computer Lounge)

Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($80.76 @ Wiseguys)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($154.64 @ Ascent Technology)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)  ($163.80 @ Aquila Technology)

Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($250.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Total: $1681.75

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 21:54 NZDT+1300

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Sure high end pc are cheaper to build but lower end sub 800 dollars its actually better in some cases to buy.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Sure high end pc are cheaper to build but lower end sub 800 dollars its actually better in some cases to buy.

Prove it.  Show me a pre-built that matches my $700 build above.

Linus actually JUST posted a video tonight about how prebuilts can be the better bang for your buck.

Linus actually JUST posted a video tonight about how prebuilts can be the better bang for your buck.

If I watch that video, what will I see?

@FoxxyRin    I have not watched it yet and I will tell you. 

Crappy power supply.

Proprietary motherboard.

No SSD.

Crappy cooling with very little chance at improving airflow.

At least you get Windows, right?

Well guess he proved it for me. Do you research before starting something.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

It all depends on whether or not you want to learn the hard way.  Buying is like sticking your hand in a fire.  Yes you won't do that again but was it worth it? 

Building it yourself gives you a great feeling.  The only potential downside for the complete beginner is the learning curve can be steep depending on how ambitious you get.  Don't water cool your first build.  Don't expect your first build to have perfect cable management.  Don't expect, or be disappointed by the fact that it doesn't boot the first time.  You forgot a connection somewhere.  Don't confuse pci-e 8 pin with cpu 8 pin.  Watch a LOT of videos if you have a weird question.

It teaches you to be meticulous and to check your work.

Laws only govern the honest.

Holy crap that is a crappy prebuilt.

Well guess he proved it for me. Do you research before starting something.

If you say so.  You are wrong if you thing that PC is worth $900 CDN.

It had an okay PSU.

If I watch that video, what will I see?

@FoxxyRin    I have not watched it yet and I will tell you. 

Crappy power supply.

Proprietary motherboard.

No SSD.

Crappy cooling with very little chance at improving airflow.

At least you get Windows, right?

Your one of the reasons people look down on the pcmr and get discouraged. You think everything should be built or go home. Your wrong...

Holy crap these prices.  You might look into importing...anyways, save up monies =P

$1681:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)

Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($128.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($102.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($88.60 @ Aquila Technology)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card  ($379.95 @ Computer Lounge)

Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($80.76 @ Wiseguys)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($154.64 @ Ascent Technology)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)  ($163.80 @ Aquila Technology)

Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($250.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

Total: $1681.75

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 21:54 NZDT+1300

is this good? also i don't know much about the terminology of pc's

Your one of the reasons people look down on the pcmr and get discouraged. You think everything should be built or go home. Your wrong...

Grow up.  What is PCMR?  That means nothing to me. 

If you think that i5 6400 + R7 370 is worth $900, that is your problem... and Linus'.  :lol:

Linus will not win you this argument.  You are wrong.  That is a bad way to spend $900.

is this good? also i don't know much about the terminology of pc's

That is roughly as good as the $665 USD build, a little worse in some ways.  There is no SSD.