Best way to connect Corsair H100i GTX to Asus MOBO

krex93

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

So i have the corsair h100i gtx water cooler. Asus ROG maximus hero viii mobo.

I am a bit confused as to the best way or right way to connect my cooler.

I currently have it connected as such: water block/pump plugged into water pump header; both radiator fans plugged into cpu fan and cpu opt header.

The manual says to plug the two fans into the connector it came with (connects to wire going into water block), then plug it all into cpu fan (another wire coming out of block). I tried this, but my issue was i could not see cpu fan rpm or anything in BIOS or fan xpert. I do not like using corsair link and uninstalled it after downloading the drivers for the cooler. Reason being because when i do the five way optimization, it would be a problem having two programs calibrate the fans right. Also, i tried it using this way and i saw that the five way optimization did not work properly as in the report, i saw some features were missing.

On another note with 5 way optimization, should i use tpu 1 or tpu 2. Have been using 1, but i thought tpu 2 was if you had  water cooler, which i do. But when i use tpu 2, it takes AGES (hours) and in the end, says overclock failed.

I have read that some people use a y splitter and plug a separate power cable directly from the cooler to the PSU, but i don't think i have that.

the right way is to follow the instructions an plug the fans into the pump and such, but throw them out lol cause link is pretty bad

heres how i have mine set up. i own the h110i gtx so its not much different

i have everything connected the way its suppose to except the 2 fans. those i have going into a fan plug on my mobo so i can manually adjust them to my temps in the bios. i use link for the pump and the led although its not needed, you just lose the ability to change the led and pump control which isn't much honestly. 

now they make fan splitters that you can plug them fans into 1 header to make the rpm's even if you choose that route but thats not really needed either

@krex93 follow your own posts so you see the updates

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

I run mine with it all connected to the cpu fan header. Ai Suite on mine detects the water pump and both fans but for some reason doesn't let me run them at low rpm, I found that the only way of getting to work properly in that configuration is to use corsair link.

I think the way you have it setup right now and having everything separate would be the best way since corsair link never works and it's a pain in the ass. I would of done it the same way but I don't have enough fan headers left on my board.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I run mine with it all connected to the cpu fan header. Ai Suite on mine detects the water pump and both fans but for some reason doesn't let me run them at low rpm, I found that the only way of getting to work properly in that configuration is to use corsair link.

I think the way you have it setup right now and having everything separate would be the best way since corsair link never works and it's a pain in the ass. I would of done it the same way but I don't have enough fan headers left on my board.

i ran mine like yours, but did not like how i could not see the cpu fan rpm. I mainly want to use fan xpert, but like you said and i have also found, your configuration only works using corsair link. Would it be problematic using both corsair link and ai suite. I think it would be, but theoretically, you could use ai suite for OC and i guess use corsair link to monitor. 

Would you know anything about QFan control in the BIOS. As of yet, i have just plugged the fans in as i have said. I have not done any overclocking or fan tuning yet.

the right way is to follow the instructions an plug the fans into the pump and such, but throw them out lol cause link is pretty bad

heres how i have mine set up. i own the h110i gtx so its not much different

i have everything connected the way its suppose to except the 2 fans. those i have going into a fan plug on my mobo so i can manually adjust them to my temps in the bios. i use link for the pump and the led although its not needed, you just lose the ability to change the led and pump control which isn't much honestly. 

now they make fan splitters that you can plug them fans into 1 header to make the rpm's even if you choose that route but thats not really needed either

@krex93 follow your own posts so you see the updates

when you say fan plug, is that like just another fan header like chassis 3 or something. Because with mine, the two fans can connect into the one header that plugs into the cpu fan header. But, if i do it like this, i would really be able to see any rpm except when using corsair link. But, then that will stuff up when i use ai suite to overclock because it tunes the fans according to that.

I was also thinking about tuning the fans using the QFan control in BIOS, then just use corsair link and forget about AI suite. Or would you have another idea that may work. Is QFan any better than AI suite or...

i ran mine like yours, but did not like how i could not see the cpu fan rpm. I mainly want to use fan xpert, but like you said and i have also found, your configuration only works using corsair link. Would it be problematic using both corsair link and ai suite. I think it would be, but theoretically, you could use ai suite for OC and i guess use corsair link to monitor. 

Would you know anything about QFan control in the BIOS. As of yet, i have just plugged the fans in as i have said. I have not done any overclocking or fan tuning yet.

I only used AI Suite to configure my case fans, then I just left it and haven't touched it since. Then I setup a fan curve for the H100i in Corsair Link and also haven't touched it since. 

If you're doing any CPU overclocking use the BIOS instead, the overclocking thing in AI Suite doesn't work properly.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I only used AI Suite to configure my case fans, then I just left it and haven't touched it since. Then I setup a fan curve for the H100i in Corsair Link and also haven't touched it since. 

If you're doing any CPU overclocking use the BIOS instead, the overclocking thing in AI Suite doesn't work properly.

How exactly do i overclock in BIOS. Is it by using the ezmode thing. I am new to overclocking so not really sure lol. And also, if i overclock from the BIOS and stuff up, then will restoring everything to factory settings in BIOS fix it.

How exactly do i overclock in BIOS. Is it by using the ezmode thing. I am new to overclocking so not really sure lol. And also, if i overclock from the BIOS and stuff up, then will restoring everything to factory settings in BIOS fix it.

Just go into AI Tweaker, set it to manual mode and set the multiplier to what speed you want the CPU to run at, Example: Multiplier of 42 = 4.2Ghz then put in how much voltage you need.

Each CPU is a little different so check what other people with the same CPU are setting their's at and put in something similar, Skylake CPUs can run at over 1.4v but my 6600K's temps get into the low 70s under full load at 1.325v. So start around that and keep increasing the multiplier until it crashes, blue screens or you get the speed you want. Do some stress tests to make sure its stable and check that the temps are under 80C. If unstable add more voltage, if too hot decrease the voltage.

If you screw anything up while overclocking or the computer won't post after applying an overclock then just clear the cmos using the button on the motherboard and either turn down the multiplier or add more voltage.