Shutdown taking longer than boot and restart?

iDeJayDzn

So my PC is being a weirdo again. It boots fairly quickly and gets into windows within about a minute from a cold boot. Restarting also takes around the same amount of time. However shutting down seems to take like 2-3 minutes. It goes through the standard motions. Gets to the windows shutdown screen then stays on for around another 30s - 1m. My keyboard cuts out its leds first then 10-20s later the pc eventually turns itself off and its only just started doing it this way. Is it my PSU or something else i should start worrying about? I have no idea why its doing it. I mean its not a major deal but its annoying when you turn the PC off then get into bed and all the LEDs are still shining in your face.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

My PC started doing this also. I don't remember the exact reason but I do remember there is a reason so I let it do it's thing. If anybody can remind me why it does this it's appreciated.

-KuJoe

Is it terminating background processes? I know steam can cause it to take a bit longer than it should.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Is it terminating background processes? I know steam can cause it to take a bit longer than it should.

Nope, like i said. Everything is terminated then it goes past the 'shutting down' windows screen into black. It then just hangs black for like 30s

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

Fast boot?  It basically does a hibernate (writes all RAM to disk) when shutting down

12684d1424033491t-fast-startup-turn-off-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Fast boot?  It basically does a hibernate (writes all RAM to disk) when shutting down

12684d1424033491t-fast-startup-turn-off-

Actually that might explain it. Although ive always had fast boot enabled and it's never caused my shutdown to take so long. I'll disable it tomorrow and see what happens.

Actually that might explain it. Although ive always had fast boot enabled and it's never caused my shutdown to take so long. I'll disable it tomorrow and see what happens.

Well if it'd not that I'm definitely going to follow this until you solve it because it sounds extremely likely to be fast boot; the way it shuts down and waits at the black screen, the fact it's still fast to reboot but slow to shutdown - it all sounds just like it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well if it'd not that I'm definitely going to follow this until you solve it because it sounds extremely likely to be fast boot; the way it shuts down and waits at the black screen, the fact it's still fast to reboot but slow to shutdown - it all sounds just like it.

Seems its not MSI Fast Boot at all. Tried shutdown and boot up again with it on then it off. Put it back on. No difference. 

Windows 10 Fast boot in power options and MSI Fat boot both off however my PC shutdown instantly after the shutdown splash from W10. however the boot time was 5-10s longer.

I'm going to try it with MSI's Fast Boot enabled now and W10 Disabled and see if my startup is faster again along with it shutting down instantly. Im guessing it will be fine and i just need to keep W10 disabled. If not then i'll report back. If you dont hear anything after this post then it helped xD

Well this is weird. Turned on MSI Fast Boot. Shutdown. Reboooted. Then my PC decided to boot and display 'Insert correct boot drive' post error.

So i restarted, mashed delete. Check my boot drive priorties and my SSD and HDD swapped around for some reason after re-enabling MSI Fast Boot with W10 Fast Boot disabled. I have no idea why that happened but for some reason it did. Nothing else in my BIOS changed apart from that, as far as i could tell. Although i didnt check if my OC was still valid because i just wanted to get back into Windows.

So i now have MSI enabled and am in Windows 10. Booted fine and it still shuts down the same. So it looks like i fixed it. Although thats one hell of a weird bug i just encountered.

Seems its not MSI Fast Boot at all. Tried shutdown and boot up again with it on then it off. Put it back on. No difference. 

Windows 10 Fast boot in power options and MSI Fat boot both off however my PC shutdown instantly after the shutdown splash from W10. however the boot time was 5-10s longer.

I'm going to try it with MSI's Fast Boot enabled now and W10 Disabled and see if my startup is faster again along with it shutting down instantly. Im guessing it will be fine and i just need to keep W10 disabled. If not then i'll report back. If you dont hear anything after this post then it helped xD

yup, all exactly what I would expect to hear :)