Monitor not recognizing VGA port.

iNoa97

So basically just finished building my computer, and I press the power button and the Power button LED goes on, case fans are spinning, PSU fan is spinning, GPU fan is spinning, and CPU cooler is spinning. I have a VGA to HDMI adapter for when I had my laptop. You see I have a pretty old HP monitor, long story short it was either a new monitor or a GTX 970. the 970 doesn't have any VGA ports so I use the adapter that came with it, the VGA to DVI, i'm sure the thing still works because I tested it on my dad's macbook. But here's what I've tried:

VGA to HDMI adapter in GPU: Didnt work

VGA to HDMI adapter in MOBO: Didn't work

VGA into MOBO: Didn't work

VGA to DVI adapter in GPU: Didn't work

note that all of these were with all the parts I had, so when I did the vga into the mobo, the GPU was still in the PCI-E slot.

I've tried rebuilding the entire thing and checking the cables and i'm still having the same problem

my specs:
CPU: i5-4690k (Stock cooler, got wrong 212 EVO :/)

GPU: EVGA GTX 970

MOBO: MSI Z97 PC MATE

HDD: WD BLUE 1TB HDD

RAM: 2x4gb G.Skil Ares

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+B 

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

Could be that the 970 and the mobo don't like the cable.  Or, maybe they don't like the old monitor.  Try with an HDMI or whatever to another display.

yea just figured out I have the  HP RK283AA so about 9-10 years old. Gonna try to get a new monitor soon 

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)