Monitor receives No Signal with brand new graphics card.

Jimsterr
Go to solution Solved by Jimsterr,

Okay well he just took out his ram and inserted it back in and now it's working.

My friend just upgraded his PSU to an EVGA GS 650W and Sapphire Nitro r9 380 and now he doesn't receive any signal to his monitor and the fans do spin when he boots it. He is also using an msi 970a-g46 motherboard and an amd phenom iix4 965 CPU, so I believe he doesn't have on-board graphics. Any idea what could be the problem?

Try a different display, check if the PCI-E connections are properly in and refirm the card in.

My friend just upgraded his PSU to an EVGA GS 650W and Sapphire Nitro r9 380 and now he doesn't receive any signal to his monitor and the fans do spin when he boots it. He is also using an msi 970a-g46 motherboard and an amd phenom iix4 965 CPU, so I believe he doesn't have on-board graphics. Any idea what could be the problem?

The monitor is set to the correct input right?

What are the connectors on both ends of the cable he is using?

Try disconnecting the monitor both from power and from the computer for a minute or two.

Check all your connections.  Try a different display.  If he has an old GPU, try that.  Make sure the monitor is on the right input setting.

Can I ask what cable you are using for display?  HDMI, DVI, DP?

So far he has tried both a dvi-i to vga and HDMI. He's tried every input settings on his monitor with no luck. 

Check all your connections.  Try a different display.  If he has an old GPU, try that.  Make sure the monitor is on the right input setting.

Can I ask what cable you are using for display?  HDMI, DVI, DP?

The monitor is set to the correct input right?

What are the connectors on both ends of the cable he is using?

Try disconnecting the monitor both from power and from the computer for a minute or two.

He has tried every input just to make sure but when using the HDMI cable he at least gets a Receiving Data before it saying No Signal.

He has also tried a different monitor but that has not worked.

fans are usually powered via PCI-e direct power, it could be either a dead card (in some ways other than the fans) or the power connector from your PSU to the card is dead

I had him plug it into another PCI-e lane and that also didn't work, so I am pretty much running out of options at this point. The only thing I could think of is that it's his motherboard. From what I know he has a non-genuine version of windows 7. Could it be possible that his motherboard has not been updating and so his bios is not detecting the r9 380?

Could it be possible that his motherboard has not been updating and so his bios is not detecting the r9 380?

That shouldn't be an issue.

Does the motherboard have any indicators? Like lights or beeps or anything?

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

That shouldn't be an issue.

Does the motherboard have any indicators? Like lights or beeps or anything?

Alright was just making sure because I don't know much about the drivers and bios.

I had him plug in his old GT 640 to boot it and yes there was a beep sound with 4 blue lights. Going to have him try the r9 380 again and see if there is any beeps or different lights.

The beep is probably a good thing, but just to be sure, check the manual. It should have a page that tells you what different beeps mean.
Also, each light that lights up should have text next to it that says what it means (CPU_LED, for example). On all of my boards, if it's good, it'll be a green light, then switch to the next light. If it's bad, it'll be red and stay red. Again, his motherboard may be different, so check the manual 

Gaming PCs:

The beep is probably a good thing, but just to be sure, check the manual. It should have a page that tells you what different beeps mean.

Also, each light that lights up should have text next to it that says what it means (CPU_LED, for example). On all of my boards, if it's good, it'll be a green light, then switch to the next light. If it's bad, it'll be red and stay red. Again, his motherboard may be different, so check the manual 

Alright so I had him plug in the r9 380 again and there was no beep but there are 4 blue lights on.

Just for clarification, did the 640 work when you tried that last time?

Gaming PCs:

Just for clarification, did the 640 work when you tried that last time?

Yes everything worked because I was gonna have him try updating the bios or the drivers.

I swear ram causes so many problems it's not even funny.
Welcome to the forums  :)

Gaming PCs:

Yeah I read that ram could have been the problem but I didn't even imagine that being the problem since he just had his computer working before he installed his new gpu so I thought there was no way ram could have been the issue.

Thanks I've just been a very long time lurker and only posted a few times when my friends had problems.

Okay well after he installed the drivers to his r9 380 his computer froze and he went to restart it. He received No Signal again and tried reinserting the ram but that didn't work either. So I had him try booting it with the ram in the 2nd slot and it worked. Any clue on why this is happening? Is it his mobo or memory? 

Okay well after he installed the drivers to his r9 380 his computer froze and he went to restart it. He received No Signal again and tried reinserting the ram but that didn't work either. So I had him try booting it with the ram in the 2nd slot and it worked. Any clue on why this is happening? Is it his mobo or memory? Also his display adapter is showing up as Standard VGA Adapter.

Try only 1 stick of ram at a time, and check each stick individually. If each stick works, try them again in a different slot. It sounds tedious, but it's really the only way to tell if it's the ram or the motherboard.

Gaming PCs: