FFS Hp..... (#rant)

Imakuni

Dad's pre-built HP was just incredibly slow (probably all the malware he grabbed ever since 2010), so I convinced him to add an SSD.... then I found out that the "210w PSU" - which I doubt can properly deliver half of that - had no spare sata connectors.

"It's fine" I said, "I'll just remove the DVD reader. We have a USB one lying around anyway, so it should be fine".

I rewired everything, closed the system, added the screws and proceeded to boot from my Windows USB install stick....... then I found out that having any bootable USB device causes the PC to freeze during post, so I can't boot from it. I NEED the sata DVD reader, at least for the sake of installing the OS. Then I'll need to remove it so I have access to the 1tb HD.

FFS HP...... way to troll my day.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

ah, prebuilts eh? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Since you are installing Windows fresh, I'd recommend just temporarily disconnected thing HDD while you install WIndows

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Well you could temporarily disconnect the HDD.  Also, check your PSU for any molex cables because a molex-SATA power adapter would be a really cheap buy

I would just get a new psu for it

Most likely gonna do that. Been looking at a very nice TFX 300w Seasonic PSU with Silver efficiency and less than 1% voltage regulation (plus almost 0 noise), according to Jonnyguru. Pretty cheap as well.

Since you are installing Windows fresh, I'd recommend just temporarily disconnected thing HDD while you install WIndows

Doing that.

Also, check your PSU for any molex cables because a molex-SATA power adapter would be a really cheap buy

Nope, no molex. When I ghettoed a 120mm fan to the side panel to replace the stock 90mm cpu cooler fan, I had to get a 3pin version for that very reason.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'd suggest an axe.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W