How to solve boot error?

gilm0re3
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

You can install a OS using various tools on an external drive, but booting a OS that was installed to an internal drive which was later plugged as an external drive is hardly possible. :) Windows 8 and later versions have the Windows to Go feature which allow you to install them on portable drives. :) I'd contact MS's support for more info!

Captain_WD.

Here's the gist of it: Have a Lenovo Y50. Came with an SSHD. 1.5 years later, upgraded it to 500 gig 850 Evo. Fresh install W10 using USB drive. Bought this enclosure for the SSHD so I could wipe it and use it as a storage drive. Haven't wiped it yet; still has W10 installed with all my data. Would love to be able to boot off of the SSHD from the enclosure to throw files onto a usb flash drive so I can finally wipe it. However, sometimes the drive won't show up in the BIOS and boot menu, and if it does and I select it as the 1st option to boot from, when I go to boot from that SSHD in the enclosure, I get a BSOD error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Can anyone explain why this is happening, or what I might be able to do to fix this? The SSHD still boots just fine if I take the time to open up my Y50 and swap the drives, but it takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and just is plain annoying and I would love to be able to just boot from the enclosure like I should be able to. Thanks!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

~snip~

Hey there gilm0re3,

If you are using an external enclosure that is connected via a USB port and you are using your old Windows OS that came on the WD Black SSHD with the laptop, I'm afraid that there's no way you can boot from it. You would need to put the hybrid drive back in the laptop and then boot from it. :)

Post back if you need other help!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there gilm0re3,

If you are using an external enclosure that is connected via a USB port and you are using your old Windows OS that came on the WD Black SSHD with the laptop, I'm afraid that there's no way you can boot from it. You would need to put the hybrid drive back in the laptop and then boot from it. :)

Post back if you need other help!

Captain_WD.

Thanks for responding! You are correct, the drive in question is a WD Slim SSHD, with W10 currently installed on it. If I might ask, how come booting via USB isn't possible? At this point, I don't really care about booting off of it from the enclosure since I really only need to get that drive up and running one last time to make sure I have all my important data off of it before I wipe it, but I'm just plain curious as to what the reason would actually be for not being able to boot. Thanks!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

~snip~

You can install a OS using various tools on an external drive, but booting a OS that was installed to an internal drive which was later plugged as an external drive is hardly possible. :) Windows 8 and later versions have the Windows to Go feature which allow you to install them on portable drives. :) I'd contact MS's support for more info!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Captain_WD.

That explanation works for me. Thanks!

~snip~

Happy to help! Feel free to ask if you happen to have further or any other questions :)
It would be helpful for other users with similar problems if you post your solution or if you get back from MS's support with some useful tips.

Captain_WD.