Fan splitter PWM problem

iKatoz
Go to solution Solved by EmeraldFlame,

I forgot to say that they are all 3 pin fans.

Ahh it makes sense now. Your fans aren't compatible with a setup like this.

3-pin and 4-pin fan control works differently.

In 3-pin fan control the controller varies the voltage it sends over pin 2 to the fan which makes it run at different speeds. 12v is full speed, so if you want 50% it sends 6v instead.

With 4-pin fan control the controller sends a constant 12v over pin 2, but sends an on/off signal over pin 4 which tuns the motor on and off at very fast speeds (think strobe light but for a motor). In this way to vary speed it changes how long the fan is on, 100% is always on whereas 50% means it is only on half the time.

You'll notice that the MB side connector that you bought only has pins 3 and 4 (speed sensor and on/off signal). It does not have pins 1 and 2 (ground, positive). This means it is getting it's power from the PSU connector instead, which is going to give you a constant 12v that you can't control. 4-pin fans would work, 3-pin fans will run but at max speed with no control.

To make this work, you need 4 pin fans. Alternatively, you could get a 3-pin splitter, but running 5 fans off one MB header may draw more power than what the MB can supply and fry the header depending on the fans.

Hope that makes sense to you.

I bought a 5-way PWM fan splitter (this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA03-45-Flexa-Splitter-Cable/dp/B005EKU5CO/) and now I can't control my fans.

Before I had a Y splitter (3 pin) and I was be able to control the speed of the fans without problems, now AI Suite show me this screen:

Can someone help me?

Thanks

post-153474-0-56946700-1453392022_thumb.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

What's wrong? Nobody can help you if you're not explaining anything...

^

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I pressed the button to publish the post instead of the preview :C

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

I pressed the button to publish the post instead of the preview :C

press the edit button

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Do you have both the molex, which should be plugged into the PSU and is providing additional power, and the 4 pin, which should be plugged into the MB and is supplying the RPM readout/pwm signal, plugged in? If you plug in just the molex power, all the fans will work, they will just run at full speed and not give you any control. You need both plugged in.

I'm thinking what he is saying is,

With a Y splitter he could control the fans, as the second fan would just copy the first one.

Now with the 5 way splitter he can't control any of them. It's not detecting the fans.

Are your fans turning on at all with the 5 way splitter?

It's not a race to the bottom.

Do you have both the molex, which should be plugged into the PSU and is providing additional power, and the 4 pin, which should be plugged into the MB and is supplying the RPM readout/pwm signal, plugged in? If you plug in just the molex power, all the fans will work, they will just run at full speed and not give you any control. You need both plugged in.

Yes, there is also one of 5 cables that read the RPM of one fan 

I'm thinking what he is saying is,

With a Y splitter he could control the fans, as the second fan would just copy the first one.

Now with the 5 way splitter he can't control any of them. It's not detecting the fans.

Are your fans turning on at all with the 5 way splitter?

Yes, I do not know how fast they spin, definitely not at the minimum speed

I forgot to say that they are all 3 pin fans. Before I control 2 fans whit the Y splitter connected to the motherboard and the other two whit the integrated fan controller 

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

I forgot to say that they are all 3 pin fans.

Ahh it makes sense now. Your fans aren't compatible with a setup like this.

3-pin and 4-pin fan control works differently.

In 3-pin fan control the controller varies the voltage it sends over pin 2 to the fan which makes it run at different speeds. 12v is full speed, so if you want 50% it sends 6v instead.

With 4-pin fan control the controller sends a constant 12v over pin 2, but sends an on/off signal over pin 4 which tuns the motor on and off at very fast speeds (think strobe light but for a motor). In this way to vary speed it changes how long the fan is on, 100% is always on whereas 50% means it is only on half the time.

You'll notice that the MB side connector that you bought only has pins 3 and 4 (speed sensor and on/off signal). It does not have pins 1 and 2 (ground, positive). This means it is getting it's power from the PSU connector instead, which is going to give you a constant 12v that you can't control. 4-pin fans would work, 3-pin fans will run but at max speed with no control.

To make this work, you need 4 pin fans. Alternatively, you could get a 3-pin splitter, but running 5 fans off one MB header may draw more power than what the MB can supply and fry the header depending on the fans.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Yeah, it make totally sense, I cannot belive I didn't think of that.

If I buy this it should be fine, right? http://noctua.at/en/na-syc1.html

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

Yeah, it make totally sense, I cannot belive I didn't think of that.

If I buy this it should be fine, right? http://noctua.at/en/na-syc1.html

Yup, that should work properly with both 3 and 4 pin fans. Most MB headers can supply 1A @ 12V (although this does vary some from MB to MB) and that is enough to run 2 of almost any fan safely, so you should be good.

Thanks for the help, I will buy this splitter

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler