Bent AMD CPU pins

Takadi

My uncle bent 4 pins on the edge of his FX 6300, got bent cause he took the processor out when cleaning his MoBo.  I managed to straighten them using the mechanical pencil trick and place it on the socket. I haven't turned it on yet since I don't have any extra thermal paste for the cooler.

Anyone has an idea how pin processors work? Does it need to connect the tip of the pin at the bottom of the socket, or as long as the pin in the socket is in place it'll be fine? Since they aren't perfectly straight (the tip might not touch the bottom) but can be placed on the socket.

as long as the pin is straight its fine

its like bending a very expensive wire

much easier with AMD than intel

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

There's a chance that the CPU might still work. I think I remember Linus saying that some broken pins might power unessential parts of the computer that post and run fine without it. But that's with broken pins so I think the CPU should be fine

I had something like this happen with my 990fx 8150 build. i went to re thermal the cpu and my cooler was stuck on the cpu. i pulled out the cpu with a bit of force and it just happened i was turning the cooler a bit. Anyways it bent the pins in 1 corner but not much i just used a very small screw driver and lined them back up. i got lucky none of them broke or snapped. anyhow i put the cpu back in it works fine just watch out do not be forceful. if your cooler gets stuck on the cpu just turn it left and right gently until it loosens of. rather  then pulling upward and turning.

I agree.

There's a chance that the CPU might still work. I think I remember Linus saying that some broken pins might power unessential parts of the computer that post and run fine without it. But that's with broken pins so I think the CPU should be fine

I got it as straight as I could and got it in the socket, just worried that the tip of the pin needs to touch the bottom of the socket. Anyway thanks! :)

I got it as straight as I could and got it in the socket, just worried that the tip of the pin needs to touch the bottom of the socket. Anyway thanks! :)

your good

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I had something like this happen with my 990fx 8150 build. i went to re thermal the cpu and my cooler was stuck on the cpu. i pulled out the cpu with a bit of force and it just happened i was turning the cooler a bit. Anyways it bent the pins in 1 corner but not much i just used a very small screw driver and lined them back up. i got lucky none of them broke or snapped. anyhow i put the cpu back in it works fine just watch out do not be forceful. if your cooler gets stuck on the cpu just turn it left and right gently until it loosens of. rather  then pulling upward and turning.

That's a big sign of relief. I'm going to buy thermal paste ASAP tomorrow and update the thread here if it still works. Thanks!

if it is straight you are good if not you are screwed gonna have to get a new cpu if you bend off the pin

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

if it is straight you are good if not you are screwed gonna have to get a new cpu if you bend off the pin

Got it as straight as I could. This is why I buy Intel CPUs. No pins.

It should be good, if you can make sure the pins are as straight as possible.  It doesn't have to be that straight but try the best you can.

Got it as straight as I could. This is why I buy Intel CPUs. No pins.

Well intel has pins too right? The pins are just on the motherboard socket if i am correct, instead of on the CPU. Isn't that why intel mobos come with that plastic cover on the CPU socket, that you pop off when you install the cpu?

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Well intel has pins too right? The pins are just on the motherboard socket if i am correct, instead of on the CPU. Isn't that why intel mobos come with that plastic cover on the CPU socket, that you pop off when you install the cpu?

Yup. I would rather have to replace a 200$ motherboard than a 600$ CPU if one of the pins got properly messed up

Yup. I would rather have to replace a 200$ motherboard than a 600$ CPU if one of the pins got properly messed up

Yeah fair enough.

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Exactly.

Only the motherboard pins are much more fragile than the CPU pins were. I've had CPUs get pretty mashed and they bend right back and are safe to use. A bent LGA socket pin can short out and take the MOBO and processor with it.

With pin type CPUs if it fits in the slot, you're 100% okay.

Only the motherboard pins are much more fragile than the CPU pins were. I've had CPUs get pretty mashed and they bend right back and are safe to use. A bent LGA socket pin can short out and take the MOBO and processor with it.

With pin type CPUs if it fits in the slot, you're 100% okay.

Although I believe you're less likely to bend a socket pin, you do have a point.

That's a big sign of relief. I'm going to buy thermal paste ASAP tomorrow and update the thread here if it still works. Thanks!

It won't damage it if you just try to get it to post. Why waste money on thermal paste it you're not sure it will work?

• CPU i7 4790k - 4.5 Ghz | Motherboard Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) | GPU MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G - 1520 core/1811 memory | Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red | Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | PSU Enermax 650W 80+ Bronze | Display LG 22MC57HQ-P | Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

The pins are actually pinched tightly by the socket when you flip the lever over. As long as you got it to insert into the socket fine you won't have any problems.

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling