USB connector missing Ground wire

Go to solution Solved by SilicateWielder,

Bump, problem solved, apparently I must have confused some pins the first time around, works fine now :)

Hey guys, my case uses a USB 2.0 header that splits each wire into it's own 1 pin header connector, there are 8 pins with the ground wire missing, is there a way to hook this up so that my BIOS doesn't give me an overvoltage warning? I may have confused two wires before but I want to make sure it isn't something else before I make a second attempt.

The connector looks similar to this but with two indivual wires that have four pins each.

fpaudio.png

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

USB or front panel connectors?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

USB or front panel connectors?

I'm fairly certain that I mentioned i'm trying to connect USB 2.0.

(I only used an AC9 front panel connector to give an idea of how the wires are individualized on my connector)

I'm fairly certain that I mentioned i'm trying to connect USB 2.0.

(I only used an AC9 front panel connector to give an idea of how the wires are individualized on my connector)

Its not that.

I have never ever seen USB headers that were split.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Its not that.

I have never ever seen USB headers that were split.

My case is a weird one, i'm guessing it's proprietary or OEM as it wasn't listed on the invoice I was given when the original owner gave me the case as a dead PC a few months ago.

Thankfully the pins are labeled so referencing a diagram makes hooking it up easy enough. However my BIOS is throwing an overvoltage protection error when I try to boot with the connector hooked up.

Hey guys, my case uses a USB 2.0 header that splits each wire into it's own 1 pin header connector, there are 8 pins with the ground wire missing, is there a way to hook this up so that my BIOS doesn't give me an overvoltage warning? I may have confused two wires before but I want to make sure it isn't something else before I make a second attempt.

The connector looks similar to this but with two indivual wires that have four pins each.

-PIC-

That looks to be a split audio header than a USB in the photo, while I have seen individually split USB connectors on very old cases they are not used anymore.

My case is a weird one, i'm guessing it's proprietary or OEM as it wasn't listed on the invoice I was given when the original owner gave me the case as a dead PC a few months ago.

Thankfully the pins are labeled so referencing a diagram makes hooking it up easy enough. However my BIOS is throwing an overvoltage protection error when I try to boot with the connector hooked up.

Well there should only be 7 pins

Well there should only be 7 pins

Technically it should be 9 on th connector, (four for first USB, four for seond USB, 1 ground/no connection)

Apparenly my motherboard doesn't like when Pin #9 isn't connected to anything... I'm gonna attempt again and see if it works this time.

Bump, problem solved, apparently I must have confused some pins the first time around, works fine now :)