Help

apprehends

Hey guys, I finally decided to register on here after hearing Linus mention it thousands of times xD.

Anyways can a few of you guys be able to tell me if this build works. I am looking to make a simple build but not too sure.

EDIT: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mqL2hM (New link)

You are better off saving ~80 dollars more for the 970 version

Or you can save up to 500 to get the 980 version

Either way, that 960 may be the right thing for a semi-economy build.

EDIT: You may want to look at SSDs

They can speed up performance for OS loading times and any games and/or programs you slap on it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Salvage some case fans if the case doesn't have enough fans. Also If you plan to overclock the CPU, DO NOT USE THE NON-K VERSION. It doesn't easily overclock as you can only configure the base clock only a few 100 MHz before it gets unstable.

MULTI EDIT: If you are not going to overclock your CPU the stock cooler is more than capable for cooling the CPU. Also remember, not all GHz are the same. A 3.3 GHz Skylake i5 could theoretically beat your i3.

ULTRA EDIT: If you look on Amazon.com, you can get a VERY cheap Windows 7 Professional OEM System Builder licence. You can use Windows 7/8/8.1 keys to activate Windows 10

Hey guys, I finally decided to register on here after hearing Linus mention it thousands of times xD

Bit Higher end motherboard, should be a bit more stable, might OC higher, you can OC on locked CPUs now

also the 380 is a decently better choice than a 960, it looks to have better DX12/Vulkan support for the future and has more performance in general

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mKBcJx

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mKBcJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($170.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance/D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.00 @ IJK)

Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($55.00 @ IJK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ IJK)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card  ($288.00 @ CPL Online)

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Mwave Australia)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($58.00 @ IJK)

Total: $837.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-11 16:37 AEDT+1100

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You are better off saving ~80 dollars more for the 970 version

Or you can save up to 500 to get the 980 version

Either way, that 960 may be the right thing for a semi-economy build.

EDIT: You may want to look at SSDs

They can speed up performance for OS loading times and any games and/or programs you slap on it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Salvage some case fans if the case doesn't have enough fans. Also If you plan to overclock the CPU, DO NOT USE THE NON-K VERSION. It doesn't easily overclock as you can only configure the base clock only a few 100 MHz before it gets unstable.

MULTI EDIT: If you are not going to overclock your CPU the stock cooler is more than capable for cooling the CPU. Also remember, not all GHz are the same. A 3.3 GHz Skylake i5 could theoretically beat your i3.

ULTRA EDIT: If you look on Amazon.com, you can get a VERY cheap Windows 7 Professional OEM System Builder licence. You can use Windows 7/8/8.1 keys to activate Windows 10

I don't plan to overclock so yeah probably won't order the cpu cooler depends tho.

Yeah I am going to order some fans maybe pull em out of an old computer.

Bit Higher end motherboard, should be a bit more stable, might OC higher, you can OC on locked CPUs now

also the 380 is a decently better choice than a 960, it looks to have better DX12/Vulkan support for the future and has more performance in general

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mKBcJx

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mKBcJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($170.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance/D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.00 @ IJK)

Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($55.00 @ IJK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ IJK)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card  ($288.00 @ CPL Online)

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Mwave Australia)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($58.00 @ IJK)

Total: $837.99

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-11 16:37 AEDT+1100

I will look into your list not entirely a AMD fan but I could probably deal with it.

I will look into your list not entirely a AMD fan but I could probably deal with it.

I dunno man, Nvidia really seems to hate freedom

a number of games are even playable at 1440p, so you could always just use VSR to run the games higher and downsample them for your 1080p display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I dunno man, Nvidia really seems to hate freedom

a number of games are even playable at 1440p, so you could always just use VSR to run the games higher and downsample them for your 1080p display

I was going to most likely do it anyways since AMD is cheaper for some quality products. I plan to go forth with this build.

Once I have built it I plan to take photos during the build and upload it to the other forum.