Windows 10 Upgrade Problem

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hey Guys! So after a lot of thinking and reading, I knew I had to upgrade to 10 from 8.1. I had already reserved a copy for myself. So yesterday I started to download it and it finished downloading the 2.8 gig file today morning. But, I had to rush to school and I left the PC on. After that, now when I open my PC, It's downloading the whole fuckin thing again! Literally? We had a power shutdown, as said by my mom. It was in this screen when I left for school.

post-29727-0-44200300-1452248838.png

And now it's downloading it. What should I do to recover my stuff?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Hey bro,i might not have a good english because it's not my native language but i having a trouble with your problem. here's what i understand and please tell me if i understood.

youre upgrading to windows 10>downloaded the file that needed to upgrade to windows 10>left your PC on to go to school (does the PC installing the the windows 10 or you just left it idle?) > power cut>pc died>arrived at home to discovered that your PC is off later discovered that there's a powercut> turn back on the PC but the file(windows 10) is missing/gone and thus you need to re download the file again. is that your problem ?

well if it is. your problem i have 2 opinions that lead to the same thing unfortunately

1. if you left the PC when it's installing, the file is corrupted and when you turn on your system it try to save itself and thus deleted the file needed to update the system. witch mean you need to redownload it again

2. if you left your PC idle, maybe the power cut made your PC didn't write the information that you've downloaded the file and thus you have to download it again.

i hate to break it to you but windows update like doing that. i myself have this problem aswell with different scenario, i was on 50% and i turn my PC off, turn my PC back on and it have to redownload it all over again.

there's a guide how to recover lost/missing downloaded file a while back ago with windows 7. i don't know if it work on windows 8.1 or not. best of luck m8 ;)

If the reservation is not working, I suggest using the media tool that microsoft has made public. 

Upgrading to windows 10 is waaaaay easier with the client.

You can find it here

Hope I could help.

RyanTheCanadian

Network Administration / Systems Management and Security / White Hat

My computer is the definition of scrapyard wars.

Windows Update will re-download the entire Windows 10 setup if it detected a file has been corrupted.

The reason for this behavior, is that this is how it works for normal Windows updates, probably to take no chance in having the possibility in screwing users up.

However, it kinda sucks for the OS upgrade.

If you are having trouble, you can use Microsoft Media Creation Tool, which will download Windows 10 setup with its own downloader system.

Based on my observations, it seems that Microsoft made Windows Update smarter in Windows 10, where it will re-download only the needed file(s), and resume.

it will take time, mine took almost 1 hour here, don't worry it will be fine

its not downloading anything at this stage

Windows Update will re-download the entire Windows 10 setup if it detected a file has been corrupted.

The reason for this behavior, is that this is how it works for normal Windows updates, probably to take no chance in having the possibility in screwing users up.

However, it kinda sucks for the OS upgrade.

If you are having trouble, you can use Microsoft Media Creation Tool, which will download Windows 10 setup with its own downloader system.

Based on my observations, it seems that Microsoft made Windows Update smarter in Windows 10, where it will re-download only the needed file(s), and resume.

Well, my first question, 

With that tool. can I pause and resume my download even after a reboot? Like torrents? You know where I live, (India). So many fuckin powercuts here. Can't help it.

Second, With that tool, will it upgrade automatically? Like the computer does all by itself, or will I have to throw in some commands and stuff?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Well, my first question, 

With that tool. can I pause and resume my download even after a reboot? Like torrents? You know where I live, (India). So many fuckin powercuts here. Can't help it.

Second, With that tool, will it upgrade automatically? Like the computer does all by itself, or will I have to throw in some commands and stuff?

I have yet to use the tool personally. So I can't answer your questions.