Can I make all Windows Files (like %AppData%) Save to a Certain Drive?

Aleksbgbg

Is this possible with some settings or whatever? I don't want to fill up my boot drive.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Is this possible with some settings or whatever? I don't want to fill up my boot drive.

Do you just mean Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, & Music? (AKA, your libraries)

Or do you literally mean any Windows file, period? (i.e. configuration & system files)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I know you can change where Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, and Music are. I'm not 100% sure but you may be able to modify an Environment Variable to change where things like AppData are located.

Do you just mean Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, & Music? (AKA, your libraries)

Or do you literally mean any Windows file, period? (i.e. configuration & system files)

The latter.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Looks like you can modify the location of AppData in the registry. As long as you would move everything into the new location everything should still work fine.

You would need to modify HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ by changing the values that have anything to do with AppData, which actually looks like a lot of the values there.

I know you can change where Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, and Music are. I'm not 100% sure but you may be able to modify an Environment Variable to change where things like AppData are located.

The latter.

To modify Environment Variables (such as %AppData%), you do the following:

• Press Windows Key + E
  • Right Click This PC (Windows 10) or Computer (Windows 7 & 8)
  • Click Properties
  • Click Advanced System Settings
  • Click Environment Variables
  • Click New... under System Variables
  • Type "%AppData%" into Variable Name
  • Type the path to the location you want to be your new AppData into the Variable Path
  • Hit OK on all windows currently open to exit this interface

Some notes about this process:

• This may break some programs who use the direct path to %AppData%, or will split your AppData between two locations.
  • Be sure to copy your current %AppData% location's files to the new location after changing the Environment Variable. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just a heads up, doing anything unsupported by Windows, means that it isn't documented for developers.

In other words, expect problems... lots of problems.

So before doing anything, backup your stuff, and be prepared to need to create a new account, or execute System Restore back in time, or re-install your OS.