Upgrading my laptop HDD to SSD, what about Windows 10 key?

JorenBus
Go to solution Solved by SwiftCraftmc,

I believe that windows key are kept in the motherboard now that what happened  with my desktop

Hello all,

So I'm thinking about upgrading my shitty HP laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO.

I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on it. What will happen if I replace my HDD with an SSD?

Will it automatically detect Windows 10 and start installing? Will I have to use some sort of program to export data etc?

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I believe that windows key are kept in the motherboard now that what happened  with my desktop

Hello all,

So I'm thinking about upgrading my shitty HP laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO.

I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on it. What will happen if I replace my HDD with an SSD?

Will it automatically detect Windows 10 and start installing? Will I have to use some sort of program to export data etc?

Thanks

It won't start installing by itself. You'll need a media drive with Win 10 on it. For the rest (activation) it should be automatic.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Alrgiht so I shouldn't have any problems, and don't have to use some sort of data moving tool if I don't want to?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

It won't start installing by itself. You'll need a media drive with Win 10 on it. For the rest (activation) it should be automatic.

Yeah of course :D

So just make a bootable USB drive, remove HDD, insert SSD and I should be good right?

Use samsung data migration tool its free from their web site...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah of course :D

So just make a bootable USB drive, remove HDD, insert SSD and I should be good right?

Yes and after you install the SSD, make sure you boot of the USB and off you go. I hope you realise this will be a fresh install. 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Use samsung data migration tool its free from their web site...

Well there's not really anything I want to transfer anyway, since I only use this laptop for college.

Alrgiht so I shouldn't have any problems, and don't have to use some sort of data moving tool if I don't want to?

Yeah if you okay with a fresh windows install

Yes and after you install the SSD, make sure you boot of the USB and off you go. I hope you realise this will be a fresh install. 

Yes I know, that's no problem, there's pretty much nothing installed on it anway, just basic stuff.

Well there's not really anything I want to transfer anyway, since I only use this laptop for college.

Couldn't you just image your current build straight on to the SSD? 

Use Ghost or True Image?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Couldn't you just image your current build straight on to the SSD? 

Use Ghost or True Image?

I don't know, will this make sure I don't have to go through the whole installation process?

Also, wouldn't that make my laptop a bit slower than a fresh install?