Win 10 File Sharing Issues (No Huge Surprise There...)

iamdarkbowser

I am trying to enable permissions on my media server and it is not going well. With another windows 10 computer trying to connect to it I get "you do not have permission to access ******. Contact your network administrator to request access." I have searched in every place in windows for sharing and explored it enabling access from anywhere and anything in every file. I have no idea what hidden setting in the dark forgotten corners of windows it is in. FYI es file explorer says when I try to connect to it "Login fails, This may be caused by: The account has no permissions". I can connect to the server fine but not any of the files, yet I have enabled anything I can find.

When i was setting up my shared backup i had to add NETWORK to the permission list or else it wouldn't work.

PC: EVGA SR2, 2x Xeon X5690 @ 4.5, 48gb GSkill Trident @ 1810, 2x Evga gtx 980 TI Classy, 6x 850 evo 250gb RAID 0, 2x WD 4tb, Corsair 900D, Custom Loop with Cpus And mobo, 3x Asus VN279q

OTher : EVGA x58 Classified3, Xeon x5679 @ 4.2, 12gb kingston HyperX fury, 2x Evga GTX 670, Adata sp550 120gb, 2x WD 2tb, Corsair Graphite Series 230T, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asus VG236H

When i was setting up my shared backup i had to add NETWORK to the permission list or else it wouldn't work.

Where is the list?

I can think of only 3 "normal" things that would affect it.  Whether or not you have "password protected sharing" enabled or not, the permissions on the share, and the local permissions of the folder.

post-265114-0-07244300-1452060590.png

post-265114-0-95838000-1452060590.png

post-265114-0-41160400-1452060591.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I got ES File Explorer to work by long pressing the server and setting the username and password.

I can think of only 3 "normal" things that would affect it.  Whether or not you have "password protected sharing" enabled or not, the permissions on the share, and the local permissions of the folder.

Everything there is the same but it still does not work with the exception of my phone and my dad's win 7 laptop for whatever reason which would tell me that it is MY computer at fault and I have no idea what could  be changed there to help.

Everything there is the same but it still does not work with the exception of my phone and my dad's win 7 laptop for whatever reason which would tell me that it is MY computer at fault and I have no idea what could  be changed there to help.

Other than rebooting both the device you are trying to connect with and the device that's hosting the file, I can't think of anything else

edit: except fir just trying with password sharing on and off.  I'm not sure which might work for you, but it may not be what's in my image

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What is the network path? Sometimes (for me) Windows acts 100% retarded and decides that I need to type in the path, e.g.: //MY-PC/My Files/ 

Maybe that will help. Then you can just map a network drive

What is the network path? Sometimes (for me) Windows acts 100% retarded and decides that I need to type in the path, e.g.: //MY-PC/My Files/ 

Maybe that will help. Then you can just map a network drive

That just reminded me of something (a little different)

I have had a couple times in my life Windows outright lie to me, and only calling its bluff has solved it.  Let me explain:

Say I'm browsing a shared folder.  I know for a fact that there is a folder called "abc" on that share.  It however doesn't show up.  I reload.  It still doesn't show up.  I specifically enter the path to the folder.  It claims the folder doesn't exist.  *evil grin* I tell it to make a folder called "abc".  A short pause occurs, followed by it telling me that folder already exists (*I've got you now you ********).  I then proceed to navigate without issue into the folder.

That just reminded me of something (a little different)

I have had a couple times in my life Windows outright lie to me, and only calling its bluff has solved it.  Let me explain:

Say I'm browsing a shared folder.  I know for a fact that there is a folder called "abc" on that share.  It however doesn't show up.  I reload.  It still doesn't show up.  I specifically enter the path to the folder.  It claims the folder doesn't exist.  *evil grin* I tell it to make a folder called "abc".  A short pause occurs, followed by it telling me that folder already exists (*I've got you now you ********).  I then proceed to navigate without issue into the folder.

Sounds like Windows haha

Other than rebooting both the device you are trying to connect with and the device that's hosting the file, I can't think of anything else

edit: except fir just trying with password sharing on and off.  I'm not sure which might work for you, but it may not be what's in my image

I have tried all of those things as well...

Ok well now MY computer can access the desired files but @iamdarkyoshi can't, perhaps it is because he is not part of the homegroup?

we've never had an issue with some machines being on a homegroup, others not, or even not having one at all.  I would at least make sure everyone is on the same workgroup though - can't hurt (though this should be true by default)

I am trying to enable permissions on my media server and it is not going well. With another windows 10 computer trying to connect to it I get "you do not have permission to access ******. Contact your network administrator to request access." I have searched in every place in windows for sharing and explored it enabling access from anywhere and anything in every file. I have no idea what hidden setting in the dark forgotten corners of windows it is in. FYI es file explorer says when I try to connect to it "Login fails, This may be caused by: The account has no permissions". I can connect to the server fine but not any of the files, yet I have enabled anything I can find.

1. Share permissions <> NTFS Permissions.

Generally you want to give liberal share persions (give guest or authenticated users full rights to the share). Then restrict with NTFS permissions.

2. Domain/SSO

If you do not have a domain/AD/SSO configured, you will need to specify which account you are loging in with. i.e. desktop\user1 is not the same as server\user1. Think of it like a website, google doesn't know about your desktop's user account, and you desktop doesn't know about your google account. when you sign into gmail, you sign in with user1@gmail.com (which can be written as gmail.com\user1). When you attempt to connect to the share, try connecting with .\user1 (.\ refers to the target machine) and the password for the user on that system.

If you have a domain, you don't need to worry about loggin in as a local user, as it knows about your network users.

If you really get stuck, add the ANONYMOUS LOGON user to the share, but that is kinda bad practice.

you will need to specify which account you are loging in with. i.e. desktop\user1 is not the same as server\user1. 

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that but I figured that was already understood since he was able to connect from other computers.  Good call though

What happens when you connect to one of the admin shares?

EDIT: Wait, the media server... es file explorer? which means phone... which means SAMBA. Which means I am out of here (samba is crap, all the linux/unix fanbois keep claiming that it is great for windows file sharing, but it is just buggy as all hell).