External AMP/DAC combo + with Mic for gaming sessions

alfa42

Hello everyone!

I'm a little bit confused at this point and I'd like to ask you how do you combine your Hi-Fi equipment with gaming sessions.

First I was going to buy an STX II sound card to drive AKG K712 and possibly a Modmic when gaming. Then I convinced myself that it wasn't that good investment and it will be better to jump to an external AMP/DAC combo for better audio experience (first O2+ODAC and later the The Element by JDS Labs), but at this point I have a dilemma; the mic for the gaming sessions.

I was thinking that a possible solution will be just use the AMP/DAC for listening and plug the Modmic in the onboard sound, but I wonder if it's the "best" workaround or could it be improved.

Which setup you guys use for gaming? Do you use onboard sound for the mic or do you use some kind of USB mic to bypass the onboard sound?

Regards.

I currently use an external dac/amp with a modmic connected to one of these: 4186.usb-audio-jack.jpg

Works pretty well.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Thank you for the replies.

I'm going to try the onboard audio and if it sucks really bad I would get one of those USB plug&play cards for the Mic that mentioned @Rhizo