modi 2 vs modi 2 uber

katiekitsune

so im trying to pick a dac amp setup and ive come to a couple choices im looking at the e10k and the schitt stack modi 2 and magni 2. but with the modi 2 im not sure if i should get the standard model or the uber (and whether to run the uber off usb or optical). the modi 2 is capable of asynchronous 24/192 over usb on both models but some say running usb power/data dacs leads to extra signal noise and switching sounds. the uber has an external power block and optical input but is also able to use usb for data only. is it better to get the uber? if so which input should i use?(not coax) should i just save ~$50 and get the standard model? 

wan

Doesn't really matter unless you want to use it with a game console or whatever else that needs spdif. 

If you must get a DAC "just because", then get the normal one.

Save another $10 if you get the B-stock. 

Doesn't really matter unless you want to use it with a game console or whatever else that needs spdif. 

If you must get a DAC "just because", then get the normal one.

Save another $10 if you get the B-stock. 

i dont need people questioning why im getting a DAC but whatever. what is the difference with the b-stock model?

wan

i dont need people questioning why im getting a DAC but whatever. what is the difference with the b-stock model?

B-Stock purely have aesthetic defects on them like little scratches or whatever, still works perfectly fine. 

Since most people stack the modi/magni, probably won't even see the defects in daily use. 

B-Stock purely have aesthetic defects on them like little scratches or whatever, still works perfectly fine. 

Since most people stack the modi/magni, probably won't even see the defect in daily use. 

the only problem is i cant find the b stock on amazon but yeah im gonna stack that schitt

wan

the only problem is i cant find the b stock on amazon but yeah im gonna stack that schitt

Why not directly from Schiit?

The Magni 2 has b-stocks while the Modi 2 seem to have run out. 

$89 + $99 + shipping would probably still be cheaper than getting it from Amazon. 

The Modi 2 (U or not) is not as good as the Magni 2U. I ended up getting one just to have the "complete stack" but this is where their marketing gets you. It does not really anything to your audio chain unless your integrated is truly terrible.

Buy the Magni 2U and be done with it is my advice. And order direct from Schiit; going with Amazon won't help you save because of the markup.

Why not directly from Schiit?

The Magni 2 has b-stocks while the Modi 2 seem to have run out. 

$89 + $99 + shipping would probably still be cheaper than getting it from Amazon. 

ill worry about where to purchase it from when i choose which model to get

wan

The Modi 2 (U or not) is not as good as the Magni 2U. I ended up getting one just to have the "complete stack" but this is where their marketing gets you. It does not really anything to your audio chain unless your integrated is truly terrible.

Buy the Magni 2U and be done with it is my advice. And order direct from Schiit; going with Amazon won't help you save because of the markup.

the magni 2U only has an extra output so its pointless to spend extra on that if im only driving headphones

wan

please stop with the undermining of the purpose of the post by questioning the need for a dac and focus on giving an answer to the original question

wan

the magni 2U only has an extra output so its pointless to spend extra on that if im only driving headphones

Magni 2 U is actually a bit more powerful than the regular Magni 2, but if you're not going for something like the HE-6 then you'll be fine.

The output would be nice as a preamp if you decide to get some powered monitors down the road. 

the modi 2 is A DAC NOT AN AMP the mangni 2 is JUST AN AMP. if you bought one expecting it to do both then you did not do you research or read the schitt stack philosophy.

wan

the modi 2 is A DAC NOT AN AMP the mangni 2 is JUST AN AMP. if you bought one expecting it to do both then you did not do you research or read the schitt stack philosophy.

He knows that, he is just reinforcing the point that external dacs are useless

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

He knows that, he is just reinforcing the point that dacs are useless

if he did then he would have said that himself, but the way he worded it is neither helpful nor does it show that he did understand that.

wan

if he did then he would have said that himself, but the way he worded it is neither helpful nor does it show that he did understand that.

It was not the best wording, but ssl has alot of audio knowledge, much more than me.

And we are trying to say you probably don't need a dac

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It was not the best wording, but ssl has alot of audio knowledge, much more than me.

And we are trying to say you probably don't need a dac

and im here trying to pick the right modi 2 model without people just saying i dont need an external DAC

wan

and im here trying to pick the right modi 2 model without people just saying i dont need an external DAC

And they helped you with that.

We are just trying to help save you 100$.

Sorry for trying to prevent you from wasting money.

And they helped you with that.

We are just trying to help save you 100$.

Sorry for trying to prevent you from wasting money.

where did anyone give an answer on if i should go with the uber or not and if i should use the usb input or the optical input?

wan

where did anyone give an answer on if i should go with the uber or not and if i should use the usb input or the optical input?

It doesn't matter, it just depends on what io you need

You asked about saving $50. I have explained that you can save $100-150.

DACs sound more similar than different in general. Again, buy a DAC if you want, but don't expect one to sound better than the other. Get the one that has the inputs you need.

ill worry about where to purchase it from when i choose which model to get

Fine, it's your money. Schiit deliberately marks up their Amazon stock to compensate for the overhead of selling on Amazon.

You asked about saving $50. I have explained that you can save $100-150.

DACs sound more similar than different in general. Again, buy a DAC if you want, but don't expect one to sound better than the other. Get the one that has the inputs you need.

if i knew which inputs i need i wouldn't need to ask. there is a difference between running usb for data and usb for power and data according to some people and i was wondering if there was a any acutal truth to this and if it was if i were better off using the optical input which is immune to most signal noise.

wan

if i knew which inputs i need i wouldn't need to ask. there is a difference between running usb for data and usb for power and data according to some people and i was wondering if there was a any acutal truth to this and if it was if i were better off using the optical input which is immune to most signal noise.

Then ask those people. I've never heard of the Modi making switching sounds, or extra noise. The mains-powered Modi 2U DAC is in theory better, but I haven't heard anything to back that up myself.

If this is the kind of thing that you worry about, buy the Wyrd. "Some people" claim that it makes the Modi sound like a $400 DAC.

Then ask those people. I've never heard of the Modi making switching sounds, or extra noise. The mains-powered Modi 2U DAC is in theory better, but I haven't heard anything to back that up myself.

If this is the kind of thing that you worry about, buy the Wyrd. "Some people" claim that it makes the Modi sound like a $400 DAC.

if its just power delivery flux that causes it then i should be fine since asus claims their usb ports deliver steady power for dacs

wan

• 2 years later...
On 05/01/2016 at 7:04 AM, SSL said:

Should i buy Modi 2 uber and Magni 3 combo? Why i need both of them?