New monitor or gpu dilemma

Hi guys I've recently been looking into getting a new monitor as mine is only 1680x1050, but as I've acquired some more AAA games over the Christmas period I have discovered that my r7 260x just can't handle them with only 2gb of ram, so I can't decided if I should just step up to 1080p finally or get a new graphics card so that I can play games in really decent settings and then pick up a new monitor at a later date

Please help cheers

get a better GPU first, if your having performance issues already it will just dissatisfy you even more because its harder to run 1080p.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Ok thank you, I have around 220 GBP to spend what gpu would you recommend, would a 960 4gb be good enough or would the 970 be better?

1050 vs 1080 wont be a big difference in demand or in clarity.  What size screen do you have? if its a <20" I would get a monitor. Granted I use a 1080 27" that many would say is to big for the resolution...

On the other hand if your currently <50FPS and on low-med graphics Id consider a GPU, but again I tend to turn detail down in games because I find them visually distracting....

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Ok thank you, I have around 220 GBP to spend what gpu would you recommend, would a 960 4gb be good enough or would the 970 be better?

A 380 or 380X is what you should be looking for but if you can find a 970 or 390 for that price then get one of those.

1050 vs 1080 wont be a big difference in demand or in clarity. What size screen do you have? if its a <20" I would get a monitor. Granted I use a 1080 27" that many would say is to big for the resolution...

On the other hand if your currently <50FPS and on low-med graphics Id consider a GPU, but again I tend to turn detail down in games because I find them visually distracting....

The monitor is about 24" so not small and the refresh rate is fine but when I try to play assassins creed syndicate today it kept crashing even on low settings and I'm looking to go nvidia this time just because how the games I'm playing our favoured towards nvidias cards rather than the amd and I will also try and buy second had to make something like a 970 more affordable

I tend to turn detail down in games because I find them visually distracting....

Wat?Why do you even play on PC?

Wat?Why do you even play on PC?

Never figured out the damn xbox controller...  I was good for Golden Eye n64 style, but aiming with a thumb is beyond me... 

Oh and I play/played mostly natural selection 2, which has very intense atmospherics that remove any competitive edge... 

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Oh yer I should probably mention I only have an i3 4160 but that shouldn't affected me graphically wise should it?

-snip-

What is your CPU? If it's to weak then there is no point in getting a 970/390. Also what are some of the games you play?

It's a I3 4160 so the best i3 you can get and I play games like fallout 4 (runs pretty smooth tbh) and black ops 3 (also smooth but bad quality texture) I attempeted to play assassin creed syndicate, and I also play a few non graphical demanding games such as smite, rocket league, cs:go

It's a I3 4160 so the best i3 you can get and I play games like fallout 4 (runs pretty smooth tbh) and black ops 3 (also smooth but bad quality texture) I attempeted to play assassin creed syndicate, and I also play a few non graphical demanding games such as smite, rocket league, cs:go

I recommend you get a 390, it will give you the best fps in most of those games but if you can get a 970 for cheaper then go with that.

I love watching the "low end" CPUs do well in gaming.  I have an i5 3450 with an r9 390 and it runs all of my games like champ including fallout 4 at high settings.  As for a graphics card I agree with either an Nvidia 960 or AMD 380X but if you can find and or afford to get one i would say get a 970 or 390 if you can.  

Sorry I fell asleep :P but yer I don't feel like I need to upgrade my cpu because well that isn't the problem now, but also I think I will have to switch to the nvidia side this time so that I don't have to go out a buy a new power supply to accommodate the higher wattage. So I will have a look around and I'm sure I can find a second hand 970 for under £220

Sorry I fell asleep :P but yer I don't feel like I need to upgrade my cpu because well that isn't the problem now, but also I think I will have to switch to the nvidia side this time so that I don't have to go out a buy a new power supply to accommodate the higher wattage. So I will have a look around and I'm sure I can find a second hand 970 for under £220

What PSU do you have?

If you can spend 20 pounds more, this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr939wf28gd

Woyld be an ideal choice. For £239, there is also a 970 turbo, but the cooler sucks

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If you can spend 20 pounds more, this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr939wf28gd

Woyld be an ideal choice. For £239, there is also a 970 turbo, but the cooler sucks

That's looks like a pretty decent card to be honest and it means I won't have to update for a while, also only uses 275w so shouldn't be a problem