Oh, Family Computers

Captain Matt

Hey!

I just finished spending 2 hours working on our family pc. I think during my last work on it, I bumped the front usb card reader connector loose and it was being really funky in Windows constantly alerting you that it was unplugged then plugged in. So my mom asked me to take a look.

The idea was to face the fan on the CM tower fan toward the front of the case as well as the rear fan, remove the 140mm and

The thing, as usual, is more covered in dust that I could imagine. I had a great realization this time looking inside though. It was SO dusty because I had arranged the fans for negative pressure. I guess my though process back then had been, "More fans! Cooler! Better!" which was... dumb. haha.

So I used a spare piece of acrylic I had lying around and created a Fractal-esque cover for the top 140mm fan mount. I cracked it when first trying to secure it so I had to run back out to my garage to make the holes a bit bigger. Before this, I had to decouple the 120mm rear fan and the 140mm because... someone at one point did that haha. I used some wire strippers to get all the wires cut apart and heated up the soldering iron and solder the connections after twisting them together, just to be sure. Then I had to use heat shrink and I ended up lighting most of the matches I used with the soldering iron. lol

Then, I installed 120mm fans in the front and the back and the front one, which I fixed with the soldering iron, was too short! So I had to flip the fans :P

Final step - reinstalling the CM cpu cooler. Being hasty, I broke 2 of those stock cooler type pins! For a 775 socket cooler... LUCKILY! I had a 1150/1151 cooler in my closet. Sadly, it didn't fit. During one of my runs to the garage, I found a really old downdraft style cooler and though, "This is too old NOT to fit!". And I was right! I swapped the HEATSINK from the 1150/1151 cooler onto the cooler from the garage. 

And that's my little pc building adventure for the night! It's quite a bit more quiet!

-Matt

inb4 lock or merge...

I hate to say it but, we have a huge thread called "Experience with non-techies" so expect this to be shutdown and your post thrown into that thread

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

inb4 lock or merge...

I hate to say it but, we have a huge thread called "Experience with non-techies" so expect this to be shutdown and your post thrown into that thread

inb4?

That's fine. I wasn't able to quickly find it so I just put it under general. :P