Bing Redirect Virus

TheMastr13

Hello,

I'm having a weird issue with my father's computer. Whenever he goes to bing.com (he wants to use google, but didn't know how to change his default), it takes him to malicious websites claiming that he "has a virus" and needs to call a certain phone number.

I know this is fake. I can't get rid of it though. I've tried:

-Kaspersky TDSS Killer

-Malwarebytes

-HitmanPro

-AdwCleaner

-Junkware Removal Tool

-Emsisoft Anti-Malware

It happens on all web browsers.

Just to recap: whenever www.bing.com is typed into the address bar, it is redirected to malicious websites.

Thanks,

TheMastr13 

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

first its easy to change default starter site and second just dont go to bing.com cuz it can be virus itself

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

just dont go to bing.com cuz it can be virus itself

that just made no sense....

So should I try deleting this file?

you open it, and see if it has some weird lines added to it.

its a tool available in windows mostly to add local entries to DNS (like making you able to bind "router" to "192.168.1.1" so you can access your router easier)

sadly, such an easy tool is also a VERY easy way for a low tech threat to mess with your system.

its a tool available in windows mostly to add local entries to DNS (like making you able to bind "router" to "192.168.1.1" so you can access your router easier)

sadly, such an easy tool is also a VERY easy way for a low tech threat to mess with your system.

It has some weird lines in it. I think it's the culprit. Give me a minute, and I will reply again

It won't let me make changes. It says I need administrative privileges, and I do.

It won't let me make changes. It says I need administrative privileges, and I do.

open notepad as administrator, and in notepad click file->open, and then browse to the hosts file.

or on linux, type sudo ;)  (yes, this is a rant on how hard it is to do admin things in windurp)

open notepad as administrator, and in notepad click file->open, and then browse to the hosts file.

or on linux, type sudo ;)  (yes, this is a rant on how hard it is to do admin things in windurp)

okay, i did it, but the problem is still happening.

In Internet Exploder, sometimes when I go to bing.com it tells me "this page cannot be displayed" (a legit windows thing). when I click "fix connection problems", it tells me "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer", and then it fails to fix it.

okay, i did it, but the problem is still happening.

In Internet Exploder, sometimes when I go to bing.com it tells me "this page cannot be displayed" (a legit windows thing). when I click "fix connection problems", it tells me "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer", and then it fails to fix it.

did you reboot?

might be that the virus left some permanent damage.

could open a cmd window as administrator and type

sfc /scannow

to see if it finds anything.

did you reboot?

might be that the virus left some permanent damage.

could open a cmd window as administrator and type

sfc /scannow

to see if it finds anything.

I rebooted and did the scan. No issues found, but bing is still redirecting. I think i'm just going to do an OS reinstall. Thank you for all your help though! have a happy new year!

I've had the problem before... you did most of this but did you try step 6-8 on this? https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-browser-redirect-virus/

it fixed my problem

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

That's the guide I followed. Didn't help.

Well in that case I guess it is time to reinstall windows :/

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]