Ram Problems

Eastham
Go to solution Solved by Eastham,

I fixed it!! Turns out off all the things it's my cooler! my 212evo must have been shorting out on the board or something and causing those two specific ram slots to not detect ram, weird right? Got it all booted up and working all 4 of my 2GB sticks detected. Now I have to buy a new cooler. :/ I'm still stupid glad my mobo is fine. Thanks for all the help guys!

Hi guys, so I just started building my PC after selling my old 4770k rig to help a family member in need of money, I bought a ASUS P8P67 REV 3.1 motherboard and a I7 2600 to go with it. The RAM I am using is 4 x 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS 3 1600Mhz memory and since my I7 has yet to arrive, I'm using a I5 3330 for now. So I was playing about with the settings in my bios and wondered to myself "hmmm wonder how much I can OC this chip by upping the FSB speed" so the stock 3.2 turned into 3.6 and then 3.8 and then 4Ghz but then, something bad happened at 4Ghz it started booting to windows then it just died, flat out dead and then restarted into a power cycle. On, off, on, off. So I did some trouble shooting removed all my drives nothing, removed all my extra peripherals nothing, and then proceeded to remove all but one stick of RAM. It posted, put a stick in slot two posted to bios again, put a stick in slot 3 nothing. Started too power cycle, tried said ram stick in slot one with slot 3 and 4 un populated, works fine, put a stick in slot 4, power cycle, ram in all slots power cycles again, all of my ram works fine, just when it's installed in slot 3 and 4 it refuses to post and the MemOK LED stays lit. at the time of failure the FSB was at 111Mhz, 1.2v vcore and 1.65v on the RAM which is the specified voltage for the RAM, everything else at auto, this has got me pulling my hair out, anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

*edit*

When It boots after removing RAM from slots 3 and 4 I get the message overclocking failed.

My RIG: I5 3570K @ 4.6GHz/ Hyper 212 EVO/ 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz/ Sahpphire R9 280X/ Corsair RM 650/ Phanteks Enthoo PRO M.

His name is Frank.

can you boot with 1 stick of ram into the bios and restore all settings to factory defaults.
First thing when trouble shooting is to get rid of the overclock in this case.
Because by overclocking the FSB you are also overclocking the memory and the CPU might be able to handle your overclock but the memory apparently not

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

can you boot with 1 stick of ram into the bios and restore all settings to factory defaults.

First thing when trouble shooting is to get rid of the overclock in this case.

Because by overclocking the FSB you are also overclocking the memory and the CPU might be able to handle your overclock but the memory apparently not

Yes, I reset all the settings to no avail, all back to default.

My RIG: I5 3570K @ 4.6GHz/ Hyper 212 EVO/ 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz/ Sahpphire R9 280X/ Corsair RM 650/ Phanteks Enthoo PRO M.

His name is Frank.

Yes, I reset all the settings to no avail, all back to default.

Time to order some new memory or RMA it. It's dead. 

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

Time to order some new memory or RMA it. It's dead. 

But all sticks work apparently, just not in slots 3 or 4

I have a 8gb stick of unbranded memory that works in slots 1 and 2 but again not in 3 or 4. I hope this isn't my mobo.

His name is Frank.

hope they will work with the 2600, i think SB was first to have IMC. However, your MC is surely dead (half of it)

Oops, I only meant the one broken stick in my comment.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

I have a 8gb stick of unbranded memory that works in slots 1 and 2 but again not in 3 or 4. I hope this isn't my mobo.

I am sorry to say but that does sound a lot like your mobo

Time will tell as soon as I get my I7. Could just be the memory controller on the chip *I hope*. At leased I can finally get back to Fallout.  :D

His name is Frank.

I fixed it!! Turns out off all the things it's my cooler! my 212evo must have been shorting out on the board or something and causing those two specific ram slots to not detect ram, weird right? Got it all booted up and working all 4 of my 2GB sticks detected. Now I have to buy a new cooler. :/ I'm still stupid glad my mobo is fine. Thanks for all the help guys!

His name is Frank.