should i consider a lesser gpu?

KabuTheFox

prior to this i was going to get a nvidia 980 ti (specifically the msi gaming series version) upon further thought it would seem this card might offer no higher benefit than some of the lesser ones for my usage, but i am not entirely sure.

for this kind of setup;
dual screen monitor build (both 1920x1080p @ 60hz) for use with gaming and rendering.

((upgrading from a single monitor with a 500 series gpu))

would the 980 ti be a wasted investment ? if so what would be an appropriate gpu? (i would perfer to stick with nvidia, im loyal what can i say)

depending on the amount of rendering

if you'd consider yourself professional than stick with the 980TI.

if its light/medium then get a 970/980.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

More fps with the 980ti may be slightly overkill but may last you longer too. Also the ti renders very nicely. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

depending on the amount of rendering

if you'd consider yourself professional than stick with the 980TI.

if its light/medium then get a 970/980.

do not consider myself professional, but i would greatly like to be some day. fresh out of college and my current rig is reaching its end of usefulness to fit my needs.

do not consider myself professional, but i would greatly like to be some day. fresh out of college and my current rig is reaching its end of usefulness to fit my needs.

In that case you can pick up the 980TI now, and make high quality content with the insane gear you have, and hopefully have that boost yourself into a future in whatever field you are looking to get in.

(edit: 980 would probably suffice too but price/perf sucks compared to 980TI)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

More fps with the 980ti may be slightly overkill but may last you longer too. Also the ti renders very nicely. 

i imagine due to the increased cuba cores and the 6gb, haveto wonder if its worth the extra $100-200 though. with my current 500 series, nearly everything is an upgrade 

basically comes down to im not sure if i should save up to spend on a 980ti or just buy a 980 with the money i do have. odds are prices are gonna plummet as soon as pascal comes out but no clue when thats gonna be

basically comes down to im not sure if i should save up to spend on a 980ti or just buy a 980 with the money i do have. odds are prices are gonna plummet as soon as pascal comes out but no clue when thats gonna be

I wouldn't expect prices on 9 series card to fall much, if any, when next gen comes out (pascal are going to be enterprise cards as far as we know). You'll get more for the money by going with the Ti at 3840x1080.

Id keep the ti, but that depends on your gaming needs. If it can keep a game maxed out at 144 frames then I would keep it. I know my 980 I have now cant even do that at 120 frames.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Id keep the ti, but that depends on your gaming needs. If it can keep a game maxed out at 144 frames then I would keep it. I know my 980 I have now cant even do that at 120 frames.

monitors im using maxes out at an overclocked 75hz anyways, so doubt that will be an issue. do not really require more than that and better monitors are not in my price range.

monitors im using maxes out at an overclocked 75hz anyways, so doubt that will be an issue. do not really require more than that and better monitors are not in my price range.

It´s fairly easy. If you can afford the GTX980Ti and you want to set yourself for a good while on a save path for FHD, then just get it. If you have to look on how much money you can spend I´d consider everything from GTX970/R9 390 to GTX980.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

980ti is significant overkill assuming you're only going to be gaming on one of the two monitors.

If money isn't a major factor then definitely get one, as it is relatively future-proofed (it runs at 4k pretty well).

Note that for 1080p 60Hz gaming, a 770/280x would be enough to run at around 60FPS in pretty much any game, anything above that is just future-proofing.

Almost as cool as my temps  

A 2 Display Setup is useless for Gaming. Get 3 or one Ultrawide.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

A 2 Display Setup is useless for Gaming. Get 3 or one Ultrawide.

the dual screen part is mostly for casual use, or rendering/design. gaming is goign to be on one unless i decide to grab a 3rd monitor in the future

Well that's really on you then. Where you would put the money getting somewhere else? That extra power could help down the road even though. Any other card people have mentioned will do fine. If you're rendering, have you considered a used Titan black? I know no one will like me bringing that up though.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz