First Custom PC

I am trying to find parts for a new PC and I need to know what will work and if what I have chosen will work.

My main concern for this current selection is the PSU. I don't really know how to tell if i will have all the right cables that I need.

I have chosen these parts:

CPU:

-AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W

FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

Link

MOTHERBOARD:

- ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 8 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD   Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI               BIOS

Link

RAM:

-x2 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B

Link

Graphics card:

-MSI Radeon R7 250 DirectX 12 R7 250 2GD3 OC 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Link

PSU:

-Cooler Master V Series 550W Compact Fuly Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply (6th Generation i5/i7 Skylake Ready)

Link

Storage:

-Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive OEM- w/1 Year Warranty

Link

Case:

-Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Dual Front Mounted USB 3.0 Ports, Three Preinstalled Fans: 1 x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1 x     Top 140mm Fan, 1 x Rear 120mm Fan

Link

OR

-Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Link

NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO BUY!!

PLEASE let me know if this will work or if there are better solutions. I would like to do AMD because it is cheaper on average, but maybe there are some Intel builds that would work as well or better for the same or lower price.

1. Budget & Location
Budget: ~<= $800 USD   I can go a little higher than 800 but not much. Preferably less than 800.

2. Aim
-I plan on using this system for gaming. War Thunder, World of Tanks, Armored Warfare, Modded Minecraft (heavily modded), Kerbal Space Program (heavily modded), Civ V, Men of War Assault Squad 2. These are the average.

-I do need a powerful CPU for my modded minecraft because currently my AMD A10-8750 Radeon R7 APU (3.6 GHz quadcore) is maxing out with my modpack and I was only running the client and I need to run the server too but, the server shouldn't be as demanding as the client; I'd still like the room.

- The modpack consistently uses up 5 GB of RAM without the server and with the server its around 4 GB.

-I don't need a great GPU and this current chipset is an R7 (not sure what else) and it is fine for me.

- I want this new pc to be able to be upgraded with multiple GPUs of better quality and performance.

- I plan to setup some sort of RAID in the future aswell just not right now (probably 1 year from now.)

- THIS IS MOSTLY FOR GAMES THAT ARE NOT GRAPHICALLY INTENSIVE.

3. Monitors
I am using one monitor and will be for some time. its resolution is 1920x1080(this is not my laptop screen). If i move to a multi-monitor solution then i will get a new GPU.

4. Peripherals
I have a keyboard, mouse, and headset. I will be using windows 10.

5. Why are you upgrading?
We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

-I am upgrading because my current laptop is a quadcore at 1.5 GHz. I am using my new pc but it is this and i can't upgrade it very much(socket limitations and possibly the PCIe x16.). I plan on running game servers with mods and I'd prefer an 8 core cpu at the least.

You should be fine with all those games. You should be able to run them smoothly and enjoyably, but if I were you, I would still aim for a much better GPU.

GPU needs to go up. Get a 750Ti or a GTX 950 if you can.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

I'm not too good at budget builds, but a few points:

CPU: The FX-8350 is relatively old chip. It'll perform okay, but it's both a dead-end for upgrade paths (AM3+ isn't going to get much better CPUs) and less than an ideal choice for particularly demanding applications. In addition, it is not a true 8-core.

If your budget allows, I'd recommend going for something like a 4690k. It'll outperform the 8350 in pretty much every case.

GPU: The lowest I'd go for a gaming build is a 750ti. If your budget allows, maybe a 950 or 960.

Motherboard: That's a pretty expensive motherboard for a budget build. I don't know exactly what to recommend for the 8350, but if you go for the 4690K I'd suggest an ASUS Z97-A.

RAM: I'd recommend a 2x8GB kit of Crucial Ballistix. It's cheaper, dual-channel, and it's a brand that's built up a lot of trust.

The PSU isn't an issue, it should have the right cables.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I am trying to find parts for a new PC and I need to know what will work and if what I have chosen will work.

the 8350 isn't going to be any faster than your current CPU really unless a game is utilizing more than 4 threads

maybe start here ish, you could probably reuse a lot of current hardware though, and maybe just throw in an SSD or get a better display

Also what do you mean RAID? I don't think you really need RAID for anything

also the build is old, so some parts probably aren't the best bang 4 yer buck

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krFDP6

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krFDP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($211.89 @ OutletPC)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $620.82

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 23:25 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

the 8350 isn't going to be any faster than your current CPU really unless a game is utilizing more than 4 threads

I need more threads for running the server and the client.

I need more threads for running the server and the client.

Well then go for my build above and just throw in a Xeon 1231v3

You'd want the 8350 if your budget was closer to 600, as it just has no chance without a heavy overclock of keeping up with an intel i7 which is basically what that Xeon is.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?