Canon Eos100d vs 600d vs Sony A58

rbertulazzi
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

Thanks for the answer. Budget is 350-400 euros. For the body + 18-55 kit only, planning to get some primes later on. Not really looking into camcorders as i mainly need it for photos. I'm aware of the problems with sony A- Mount lenses, it's one of the main reasons i'm looking into the Canon 600d. About the canons, my major concern is wether or not is worth buying a used camera over a new one. I don't really care much about the newer features of the 100d, and i think i can live with the 600d's slower autofocus, as far as the image quality is even slightly better. Still, i'm new to the market and i don't really know if it's worth going used or not.

The AF systems in those cameras are optimized for photography.  Not for video.  When it comes to taking photos these cameras should perform similarly.

If you mainly need it for photography, and video is of secondary or less importance, get either the 100D or 600D or a Sony E-mount camera, anything within your budget.

Hi, i want to purchase a DSLR camera, for both photos and videomaking, budget is quite tight but i managed to find a Canon EOS100d for 340 Euros or a Sony A58K for 370. Plus i can get a used Eos 600d for around 320-340 euros. The thing i'm more concerned about the Sony is the lack of an upgrade path. Plus i don't Know if it's worth to get the used 600d over a new 100d. Thanks in advance to everyone willing to help!

Ghetto Gaming Rig:
Intel Core i5-4690k; MSI Z97- Gaming 5; 8 gig Hyperx Savage; Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming; XFX XTR 650W; 120 gig Samsung 850evo SSD; Fractal Define S; Logitech G502; HP Pavilion 23xw monitor.

Can you post what your maximum budget would be?  Keep in mind when you record video with a photo camera you need to invest in some additional accessories, so when you post a budget take into account the following:

• Camera body or kit with a starter lens
  • Or a separate lens
  • External microphone or recording device
  • Spare battery
  • Memory cards

This should get you off to a basic start.  Other accessories you can think about investing later will be tripod or some sort of stand/support, bag(s) to hold all the accessories you want to carry, lighting equipment, follow focus, etc.

Additionally you could get a camcorder, which already includes a lens and quite often a pretty decent mic built-in.  The in-camera mic of a camcorder is slightly above the quality of an in-camera mic in a photo camera, because the manufacturers of these cameras design each one with a specific purpose.  So mics in a camcorder will be optimized for recording videos, while mics in a photo camera are not as manufacturers assume you will get an external recording device or mic anyway.

Read the links in my signature, they are there to help people get a better understanding of what is in awaiting ahead.

The Sony A58, while it appears to be a decent photo camera, has been surpassed by newer Sony cameras.  Additionally while Sony has not abandoned the A-mount system, the newer E-mount is more popular and will give you a better upgrade path.

As for the two Canons, between the 600D and the 100D you should look at how they compare and see which features matter to you more.  Their rated scores are pretty close, so performance wise they should be similar.  However keep in mind, most of these comparisons and scores concentrate on the photography aspect of the cameras and not the video recording aspect.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon-EOS-100D/detailed

For the video aspects, you should Google "Canon 600D, 100D, Sony A58K video recording review".  That's where people will tell you whether the video recording seriously suffers from issues such as:

• Moire
  • Rolling shutter jello effect
  • Soft or crisp image quality

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Can you post what your maximum budget would be?  Keep in mind when you record video with a photo camera you need to invest in some additional accessories, so when you post a budget take into account the following:

• Camera body or kit with a starter lens
  • Or a separate lens
  • External microphone or recording device
  • Spare battery
  • Memory cards

This should get you off to a basic start.  Other accessories you can think about investing later will be tripod or some sort of stand/support, bag(s) to hold all the accessories you want to carry, lighting equipment, follow focus, etc.

Additionally you could get a camcorder, which already includes a lens and quite often a pretty decent mic built-in.  The in-camera mic of a camcorder is slightly above the quality of an in-camera mic in a photo camera, because the manufacturers of these cameras design each one with a specific purpose.  So mics in a camcorder will be optimized for recording videos, while mics in a photo camera are not as manufacturers assume you will get an external recording device or mic anyway.

Read the links in my signature, they are there to help people get a better understanding of what is in awaiting ahead.

The Sony A58, while it appears to be a decent photo camera, has been surpassed by newer Sony cameras.  Additionally while Sony has not abandoned the A-mount system, the newer E-mount is more popular and will give you a better upgrade path.

As for the two Canons, between the 600D and the 100D you should look at how they compare and see which features matter to you more.  Their rated scores are pretty close, so performance wise they should be similar.  However keep in mind, most of these comparisons and scores concentrate on the photography aspect of the cameras and not the video recording aspect.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon-EOS-100D/detailed

For the video aspects, you should Google "Canon 600D, 100D, Sony A58K video recording review".  That's where people will tell you whether the video recording seriously suffers from issues such as:

• Moire
  • Rolling shutter jello effect
  • Soft or crisp image quality

Thanks for the answer. Budget is 350-400 euros. For the body + 18-55 kit only, planning to get some primes later on. Not really looking into camcorders as i mainly need it for photos. I'm aware of the problems with sony A- Mount lenses, it's one of the main reasons i'm looking into the Canon 600d. About the canons, my major concern is wether or not is worth buying a used camera over a new one. I don't really care much about the newer features of the 100d, and i think i can live with the 600d's slower autofocus, as far as the image quality is even slightly better. Still, i'm new to the market and i don't really know if it's worth going used or not.

Ghetto Gaming Rig:
Intel Core i5-4690k; MSI Z97- Gaming 5; 8 gig Hyperx Savage; Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming; XFX XTR 650W; 120 gig Samsung 850evo SSD; Fractal Define S; Logitech G502; HP Pavilion 23xw monitor.

The AF systems in those cameras are optimized for photography.  Not for video.  When it comes to taking photos these cameras should perform similarly.

If you mainly need it for photography, and video is of secondary or less importance, get either the 100D or 600D or a Sony E-mount camera, anything within your budget.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Thank you for your answers, i think i'll look for a good deal with the 600d, as 100ds are quite difficult to find on the cheap.

Ghetto Gaming Rig: