upgrading laptop to windows 10

Dukanater

if i upgrade to windows 10 it saves the key to the computer correct??? iv been getting mixed answers about this. reason i ask is because i plan to replace the hard drive with a SSD down the line and i was wondering if id have to put windows 7 on the ssd and then upgrade again? i have a usb copy of windows 10 already so if the key is saved to the computer i should be able to hook up my ssd and do a clean OS install with out needing a key (as it would be already in the system?) correct or am i not understanding this right?

thx for taking the time to read and offer help =]

Yes it signs the licence to the motherboard. I upgraded my laptop with a hard drive to Win 10, then later clean installed Windows 10 to a new SSD and had no license issues.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Yes it signs the licence to the motherboard. I upgraded my laptop with a hard drive to Win 10, then later clean installed Windows 10 to a new SSD and had no license issues.

i figured this would be the case but i wanted to make sure before i did all the extra work if just cloning my drive now and then upgrading would have been easier work smarter not harder right =p thx for the quick reply. 

i figured this would be the case but i wanted to make sure before i did all the extra work if just cloning my drive now and then upgrading would have been easier work smarter not harder right =p thx for the quick reply. 

Here's an article about it as well, if you go to the heading "What if You Change Your PC’s Hardware?"

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10