Windows 10 Expiration Date

VAkena

Microsoft has said that they're letting Windows users of Windows 7 and 8/8.1 get a free one year trial of Windows 10; does this mean that after the year trial has ended, we have to buy Windows 10?

I'm asking because the screenshot I provided shows otherwise. 

post-256893-0-53113500-1451458866.png

Once it goes stale.

lol JK

I think it meant for the first year of windows 10 being released, you could upgrade for free. After that year the free upgrade will no longer be available.

I honestly seriously doubt Windows 10 will ever not be available for free upgrades (or free in general).

Why? Because Microsoft is no where near hitting their goal of 1 Billion devices with Windows 10 by whatever date they decided. Even at the current rate with it free. 

If they charge for it, and remove the free upgrade, you can kiss that goal completely goodbye.

You'd be surprised how important milestones are for corporations. These are the things that get games released early and broken.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

if im not mistaken it free perminantly if you upgrade during this free upgrade period. then if you want to upgrade after the period has ended then it costs. cant say for sure since i bought the retail version

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Once it goes stale.

lol JK

I think it meant for the first year of windows 10 being released, you could upgrade for free. After that year the free upgrade will no longer be available.

I honestly don't wanna keep buying Windows anymore..

tis free upgrade for a year

you upgrade within the year, its free

Are you able to verify this though? If not I'll just have to set some money aside just incase. 

Microsoft has said that they're letting Windows users of Windows 7 and 8/8.1 get a free one year trial of Windows 10; does this mean that after the year trial has ended, we have to buy Windows 10?

No, Microsoft said that Windows 10 is free to upgrade to within the first year, but it will last "forever"(until it eventually gets phased out).

It clearly states in the get windows 10 app that it isn't a trial.

If you upgrade to windows 10 before the one year free upgrade period is up then it is permanently activated, but upgrading after that period is over will require payment to complete the upgrade.